Monsters

• 14 Replies

lightyears

Monsters
« on: February 19, 2012, 17:07 »
Has anyone found that there seeds potatoes seem larger than usual this year? some of mine are bordering on jacket size, ive never seen them like this before. they come from a supplier out spalding way lincs

LilacSandy

Re: Monsters
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 17:58 »
Mine seem normal size but they are from the bog standard places.

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 18:00 »
well to be honest i dont buy seed pots, but ive seen them in the shops this year and they are not 'jacket' sized! why dont you name the supplier and the variety of potato you've bought?

lightyears

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 18:48 »
cara is the variety and they are from Hilliard and Porter of spalding. im not sure if it was something to do with the exceptionlay mild year last year

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 18:55 »

So it's not just me then?

I got some PJ's from Wilkos' a few weeks back and noticed their's were larger this year compared to last. Bigger than a ping pong ball, but not quite a tennis ball size.

Let's see what happends as they get more stock in over the season though......

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 19:08 »
Blimes! Jacket size is really big!

Local GC has sold us egg sized, and this year, I won't chop them into pieces, it's not really a great return IMHO.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 20:33 »
cara is the variety and they are from Hilliard and Porter of spalding. im not sure if it was something to do with the exceptionlay mild year last year

Enormous my Cara crop was this year, along with some others. It might well have to do with the weather.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 05:52 »
A friend of mine growing potatoes for the first time bought Arran Pilots and when he showed me, I was surprised by the huge size of some of the seed potatoes. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:40 »
It's easy to suspect that low-cost seed potatoes will not have been screened as carefully as more expensive ones (another way of saying that it's a good way of getting money for potatoes which are too big to really be considered "seed" sized!)  :nowink:

My 2.5kg bag of JBA Lady Chrystl had 40 seeds in, a few of which are really a bit too small, and a few definitely larger than hen's eggs, but on the whole a pretty good effort.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:14 »
I don't think it's anything to do with last season in particular, you can get large ones any year, if you mail order, you get what's sent.

As much as I laud my local garden centre, two years ago I pre-ordered via the internet a fixed number of seed spuds. I got all the big ones and whilst you can order by the number, they cost the price by the weight. My wallet was a bit lighter that year.

Lesson learned, I go and hand pick them now.

I appreciate that not everyone can do this, but the bottom line is that if you mail order x number of kilos, you'll get that, not a pre-defined number of seed spuds.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:20 »
I've noticed some of the seed potatoes in Wilkos are pretty big (as big as I'd buy for mashing and roasties) - and with 6" chits on them, albeit white and spindly.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

digalotty

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30 »
i decided not to buy pentland javelin from wilco because they were so big
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00 »
It's easy to suspect that low-cost seed potatoes will not have been screened as carefully as more expensive ones (another way of saying that it's a good way of getting money for potatoes which are too big to really be considered "seed" sized!)  :nowink:

Seed potatoes are well regulated by DEFRA. It is illigal to sell seed potatoes smaller than 25mm. Usually they are graded as 35mm - 60mm which means that they will pass through a riddle with a 60mm mesh but not through 35mm mesh. They may of course pass though their thinnest part if they are oval. I think the grading size is stated on the certification label which should be on every pack or,if loose from a big bag, on the big bag.

Commercial growers plant by weight of seed per acre. If the seed are large they space them out more. If they are small they plant them closer.

Big seed can be cut in half. Make sure there are chits on both pieces. Pat the cuts with some kitchen towell and then keep in the warm until the cut surfaces have dried. The edges of the cut will wrinkle a bit as you chit them. If you delay cutting until just before planting give the cuts time to dry over properly before putting them in the ground.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30 »
Cara is a very large potato.  I grow it specificly for jacket potatoes. 

I buy me seed loose so can chose the size I want - about large hens egg size.

RichardA

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:37 »
mine from JBA (CARA, Arran Pilot and Charlotte) are almost exactly the same in number from the same weight ordered suggesting that for JBA at least they are consistent in size and hence consistent as numbers of seed potato in each kilo. Duck egg size each one.
R

Page created in 1.205 seconds with 38 queries.