Tomato Growpots

• 8 Replies

mikeimp

Tomato Growpots
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:49 »
Purchased 6 Growpots a few years ago to use with Growbags for our Tomatoes in the greenhouse.We are thinking of growing a few more plants this year so are looking for an additional 3 Growpots.We have looked on the websites of the usual and from what we remember they have increased in price a lot.Are there any bargains about to be had before spending our hard earned cash?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Tomato Growpots
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53 »
I know of no others that Googling won't find.

I don't use grow bags now, but when I did, I found that watering into a sunken flower pot was sufficient - and a lot cheaper than grow pots!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25 »
i do the same as DD, however if you definately want grow pots, why dont you make your own - if you can get hold of some florist buckets cut the in half, put the bottom half inside the top half and theres your grow pot.

thanks
matt

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:29 »
You've lost me there matt  :wacko:
Please explain in more detail so I know how to do it, and where the water will go  ;)

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:38 »
you get a florish bucket, it will be wider at the top and narrower at the bottom.
you cut the bottom off the florist bucket and then about third way down from the top.
now you should have two rings, the biggest of the rings should be on the outside and the smallest on the inside, this will create a ring in which you put the water, you shouls then hae an inner - circle, this is where you plant your tom and earth it up as the season grows. you should then have something that resembles a grow-pot.

i hope i made that clearer.

thanks
matt

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:22 »
The water would run straight out of the outside hoop wouldn't it, rather than the gradual watering from a grow pot?
http://www.selections.com/GF9810/tomato-and-vegetable-growbag-pots-set-of-3/

The pots have an outer trough that holds four pints of water or feed which then gradually seeps into the compost taking a constant supply directly to the plant root where it is needed most. The plant is planted in the inner pot, which is then filled up with extra compost to encourage more vigorous and healthy root growth 

found 3 for £10.78 inc p&p
@ Amazon

mattwragg94

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 13:41 »
well you'd have to bury the bottoms in the soil, i didn't mean just place them on top of the growbag. you dont have to use florist buskets, you could use two dfifferent sized pots. it was just a cheaper alternative!

stompy

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03 »
i do the same as DD, however if you definately want grow pots, why dont you make your own - if you can get hold of some florist buckets cut the in half, put the bottom half inside the top half and theres your grow pot.

thanks
matt

I like the idea of that Matt,
Im going to give that a go this year in my greenhouse beds.  :happy:

mikeimp

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:09 »
Thanks for all the info .I did end up buying some from Garden innovations on Amazon better price thanks you ,went there on your advice.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.