Chilli peppers

• 44 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chilli peppers
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 16:45 »
The lengthening days may start them off again, so give them a while longer before you give up on them.

The sweet pepper on my bedroom window shelf hasn't done anything yet either, but it is still alive :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 16:52 »
PS I sowed my sweet peppers and aubergines a week later, but in the meantime the compost bag had frozen. I thought nothing ventured, broke it up in my hands and sowed anyway, I figured I could always start some more off if it didn't work. I had 100% germination even on half frozen compost :)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36 »
my husband brought a heated proporgator some john innes seeding compost sowed 60 chilli seeds (yes i typed 60) 5 weeks ago and we have had 0% germination!!!!  what went wrong???   
I do have some more seeds and am going to see if i can germinate them on some moist tissue in one of those plastic egg boxes .... i am sure i read that method on a thread but i cant find it now...

if anyone has any thoughts on why we had 0% germination that would be great ... i'm at a total lost!!! :(
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

digalotty

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:38 »
i would try a different packet you may of had a duff one ,    thats if they were all from a single pack
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 10:34 »
i would try a different packet you may of had a duff one ,    thats if they were all from a single pack

nope ten different packets!!!  just noticed that we do have one ..... so not giving up and dumping the lot yet!!! ;)

mattwragg94

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 14:19 »
as we said a few days ago, some can take a few days to germinate, whereas others can take upto a month.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 14:55 »
If anyone has any thoughts on why we had 0% germination that would be great ... i'm at a total lost!!! :(

Too dry is a possibility, but too wet is more likely, and if the lid was on and condensation was obscuring the view inside it's just possible that they may have germinated and immediately damped off and disappeared before you even saw them.

Try again, giving a good watering after sowing and then keeping the compost just moist thereafter.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 16:52 »
Try again, giving a good watering after sowing and then keeping the compost just moist thereafter.

i think the problem might be a bit of both .... the pods round the edge are always nice and moist but the ones that sit in the middle of the proporgator seem to get really dry very quickly.  i have just read the instructions to the proporgator and my oh seems to of missed the step of putting sand in the bottom ....... could this explain why the pods in the middle are dry within a day of watering????  its all very strange we do one Aji Limon though so lets hope it survives. :wacko:

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 16:57 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 17:09 »
Is the sand to spread the heat from the element? (don't have one myself.)

Could be some of your seeds were too wet, some too dry, and some/all potentially too hot!!  :lol:

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 17:46 »
Is the sand to spread the heat from the element? (don't have one myself.)

Could be some of your seeds were too wet, some too dry, and some/all potentially too hot!!  :lol:

I would tend to agree, if at any time after germination the soil dries out then the seed will die, and for a lot of varieties a temperature of over 95F will result in no germination at all.
Best temperature for germination is 80F to 85F.
Try putting a thermometer inside to check. and if you have a thermostat make some adjustments.

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 19:06 »
This is my first time using a heated propagator...my question is do you need to water them everyday or every other day or every 3 days ? sorry for the stupid questions i know you say keep them moist but what is the average watering times ?  

mattwragg94

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 19:08 »
just keep checking them everyday making sure to keep the compost damp

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 19:09 »
There are no stupid questions on here Griffete  :)

You can almost bet that every time you think that, someone else is secretly pleased that you've asked it, and that another person doesn't know the answer!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 19:12 »
Thanks Guys  :)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 20:36 »
I think i will start again with the whole thing at the weekend (can live in hope that I've not killed all 59 seeds for a few more days!!!!)

is it worth chitting the seeds i have left to ensure that they are all not duff?!?  so dissappointed i have tried and tried to grow chilli's for the past 2 years and all i have is one twlight!!!  :(

xx
chilli peppers

Started by dennis on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 13:49
by dennis
xx
Hot chilli peppers.

Started by kathrose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 13:41
by kathrose
xx
Chilli Peppers

Started by Chris B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 16:13
by mr Isaccs
xx
Chilli's and Peppers

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 08:42
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 30 queries.