Just getting started Eglu advice

• 26 Replies

Luz

Just getting started Eglu advice
« on: February 18, 2012, 16:15 »
Hi, I have just joined your forum to get help and advice on starting up.
I have been advised that the Eglu is the best coop to get for easy cleaning and less parasites etc. Can anyone recommend a good place to look for these if this is the case. Ebay seems expensive so presuming they are not cheap.
I know this wont be my first question, so hi to everyone, looking forward to getting to know and pick your brains on here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 17:59 by Aunt Sally »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Just getting started Igloo advice
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 17:30 »
Eglu classics and eglu cubes are expensive but they do last years. You don't need to buy red mite products etc.
They do make a cheaper version called the Eglu go.
They can all be found here:-

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Chicken+Keeping
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

Re: Just getting started Eglu advice
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 19:31 »
Hello Luz and welcome to the forum  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 18:12 »
Hi, and welcome.... Eglu,s are hideously over priced, thats my opinion! even second hand ones. I,ve seen a coop made from a plastic garden storage box, a few modifications to it and it was very good. Totally waterproof and easy to clean out with several sizes to choose from, priced between £35--£55 not bad at all..Hope this has given you a few ideas...Aden...

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 23:22 »
I had an Eglu, so do others on here, and they are very good quality, well made coops. They hold their price well.  I sold mine on ebay after my girls had all died and it was in as good a condition as the day I bought it and it was 3.5 years old. 

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:41 »
I spent ages thinking this about it and getting advice.  They are overpriced but you'll get a good price back on ebay.

I built a 'bedroom' in the shed in the end but had I not I would have found it hard to create something to match the eglu as they have thought of everything it seems (never owned one though)....  apart from thier ugliness.  A plastic garden shed won't give that double layer and insulate against extreme cold and heat.

My hen likes to jump up high to roost which the little eglus don't allow, but apart from that you'll be glad in the long term you invested in something easy to use when you've got a streaming cold and its raining and you've got to clean them out......
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 17:35 »
Yes eglu,s hold their price, and yes their well made, that why it makes them expensive new and second hand.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 20:05 »
Hi, and welcome.... Eglu,s are hideously over priced, thats my opinion! even second hand ones. I,ve seen a coop made from a plastic garden storage box, a few modifications to it and it was very good. Totally waterproof and easy to clean out with several sizes to choose from, priced between £35--£55 not bad at all..Hope this has given you a few ideas...Aden...

I have an eglu cube and yes they are very expensive but they are warm during the cold weather and I have eggs all through the winter. Whereas friends who have the wooden options don't.

I wouldn't change my cube for anything else. They are also really easy to keep clean and touch wood..... we have never had red mite. 

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 21:16 »
Eglu,s are still expensive, I have 5 hens,coop built from scrap wood,getting five eggs a day! weighed two this morning both 80grms which is best? ...Aden..

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 21:21 »
the size of the eggs and the amount they lay is down to the breed of hen, the amount of light (hence why poultry farmers use artificial lighting in their barns) and not the type of coop.
I adore plastic coops (have 2 solway arks and 2 eglu classics) but having plastic has not made my purebreeds lay this winter.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 21:27 »
So what you have to remember where poultry is concerned is, expensive, quality is not always the best..Aden..

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 23:27 »
But if you have ever had a REALLY bad case of red mite, you'll see why a lot of people prefer the plastic coops!

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 23:53 »
Second that, Grannie!

Luz

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13 »
Thank you everyone, I am not sure my budget will stretch to an Eglu that is why I posted about an Igloo concept rather than the brand (post was edited).
I am sure the plastic option is going to be best, and have seen the alternatives on ebay but not sure how good they are.
Something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK-CHEAPEST-PLASTIC-DUCK-HEN-BANTAM-CHICKEN-HOUSE-CHICKEN-COOP-DOOR-/220956007623?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3372011cc7

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46 »
I'd be very wary of that!

Have a good look at an Eglu then go shopping - you'll have a good list of requirements.

xx
Eglu! - Set up advice please!

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:28
by OpiumEater
xx
advice on getting started please

Started by LJB on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 20:37
by LJB
xx
Eglu

Started by Mrs.Veg on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 23:52
by LILACSPLASH
xx
Eglu go

Started by JaK on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 13:54
by JaK

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.