growing roses from hips

• 19 Replies

mattwragg94

growing roses from hips
« on: February 18, 2012, 16:04 »
yesterday my mum cut off some rose hips and cut them open to our amazement we found little seeds (around 6 in each), we where wondering whether it would be possible to grow a rose plant from these seeds? i would be grateful for any help.

thanks
matt

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: growing roses from hips
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 16:34 »
It won't be quick, but it ought to be possible. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 16:50 »
Not entirely sure about this, but you might find that whatever grows, has a very sprawling habit like the wild dog rose.  Most home roses are grafted onto a rootstock to control their growth habit.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 17:19 »
I would expect hips to come off a dog rose. ;)  I have them in my mixed native hedge. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 17:21 »
Many garden roses produce hips but as are hybrids any seed they produce will result in seedlings very unlike the parent plant. I don't think it would be worth the time and effort :nowink:

You'd be better off trying to grow more from cuttings  :)

Spana

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 17:53 »
I've grown rosa rugosa from seed.

I picked hips in the autumn when they were ripe, washed the seeds in a sieve to get rid of the fleshy stuff then just spaced the seeds out in a tray of compost and left them outside until spring.  When it started to warm up i took them into the greenhouse and just left them on the staging and within 14days they were up like cress.
I potted them on when big enough the planted them out in rows in the veg garden to grow on a bit.
I cant remember now if it was that autumn or the following spring that i planted them in their permanent position .

It was definitely worth doing with rugosa as i need a large number of plants. They are beautiful now enmasse and attract lots of wildlife :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 18:02 »
That I can understand as rugoses are much nearer to the wild species than the average garden rose  ;)

mattwragg94

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 18:09 »
it was a climbing yellow rose, i cant remeber the variety, i might try and take some cuttings tho! -  i dont have much luck with them either, oh well thanks for the advice, i have very little knowledge when it comes to flowers - thats my mums department!

Spana

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 18:43 »
If you've got the seeds give it a go. Just for the heck of it :D

Sow them now and leave then outside and hope you get a frost.  Then bring them in onto a warm windowsill if you dont have a greenhouse about the end of March and see what comes up.

Lets us know what happens if you try it :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 19:08 »
One of the (former) major nurseries here admitted that they used the wild rugosa roots to graft their hybrid rose stock onto. The very long, wild hedge at their rose farm was allowed to grow and seed at will since it did so well on its own and saved the nursery a bundle.

Only problem was that if the rose buyer didn't prune correctly, they'd get the wild rose taking over and lose the grafted rose.

A gal I knew kept secret a wild rugosa patch she found so that she could harvest the hips for potpourri sachets and rosehip jams and jellies, so if you're inclined and have the space, it would be worth growing since rosehips are high in vitamin C.

mattwragg94

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 19:11 »
ok i'll plant them tommorow and i'll let you know what happens, thanks again for all of your advice!

does that mean all rose hips are edible? - wasn't sure if rose hips where collected off of a certain type of rose!

Spana

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 21:21 »
A gal I knew kept secret a wild rugosa patch she found so that she could harvest the hips for potpourri sachets and rosehip jams and jellies, so if you're inclined and have the space, it would be worth growing since rosehips are high in vitamin C.

I make a mean rose hip syrup with my rugosa hips.   :happy:

The birds love them and even the ducks eat all the hips they can reach. :)

I wonder if the seeds would germinate without the cold treatment if they have passed through a duck  :blink:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 21:27 »
I wonder if the seeds would germinate without the cold treatment if they have passed through a duck  :blink:
I thought this thread was odd from the start, I mean, won't the roses make it hard to lay on your side?  Now this from Spana? :ohmy: :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Spana

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 21:52 »
I thought this thread was odd from the start, I mean, won't the roses make it hard to lay on your side?  Now this from Spana? :ohmy: :lol:

I was being completely serious at the time but cant stop laughing now :lol: :lol: :lol:

mattwragg94

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:29 »
hahaha im sure you'll get a lot more odd posts from me that will test your knowledge,
anyway thanks again for all of your advice, i'll be planting them today.7

thanks,
matt.

xx
roses

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 19:19
by mumofstig
xx
Help: Roses

Started by clarebear on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 14:52
by jackiestagg
xx
Roses

Started by clarebear on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 11:44
by clarebear
xx
Roses

Started by Novice on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 09:47
by chutneymaster

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.