Sweetcorn between the potatoes??

• 19 Replies

Ivor Backache

Re: Sweetcorn between the potatoes??
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 21:00 »
That was an interesting exchange of ideas.
I'm not sure that I have enough space to grow the corn in its own bed so I am looking at the shallots. There's always a plan B.
I have 6 rows across the allotment and they should be harvested in June.  By sowing corn in May and growing the plants in pots (supermarket cut flower pots)  it should be possible to have the exchange in place by early July.
I will have plenty of compost and rotted horse manure by then to dig in so does anyone have any thoughts on this idea. Thank you once again.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 10:50 »
Sounds a bit risky to me Ivor.

Even if your shallots are ready in late June you would still be losing at least a few weeks of valuable growing time for the sweetcorn which need as much "quality time" in the ground as possible.

Your local conditions may well be different, but it wouldn't work for me simply because my shallots have never been ready before about mid-July. 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ivor Backache

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17 »
Sounds a bit risky to me Ivor.

Even if your shallots are ready in late June you would still be losing at least a few weeks of valuable growing time for the sweetcorn which need as much "quality time" in the ground as possible.

Your local conditions may well be different, but it wouldn't work for me simply because my shallots have never been ready before about mid-July. 

Thank you JayG. I have just checked last year's diary and I lifted my shallots in late July. I am giving up cellery and swede so I will have to reorganised the beds, to make room.

gobs

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 20:28 »
There is one, but I don't think it translates very well into Hungarian.  :lol:

However, your English is far better than my Hungarian.

Mr Google, if he's to be relied on, says that "Golyó" in that context is a no-no!

It absolutlely is a no-no. We say 'pumpkin', no messing. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 20:31 »
I do not know, how it is on your location exactly, but here, winter brassica, winter onions, early pots, early brassica and sometimes garlic are all up by July. If that is the time you want to plant there. We do June here.

xx
Sweetcorn and sweet potatoes

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 11:46
by LotuSeed
xx
Companion planting - Peas, Potatoes, Sweetcorn

Started by leerthorp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 19:45
by peapod
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary

Page created in 1.226 seconds with 29 queries.