not the first!

• 4 Replies

rancid#radish

not the first!
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:34 »
Im sure its not the first time someones asked this  ??? but whats the best way to harvest and store sunflower seeds for 'human' consumption?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: not the first!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 17:13 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I think you might have asked it for the first time on here!  (aka I don't know the answer!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 19:22 »
to be honest i dont know the answer to your question either, but if i was going to do it id leave it until all of the pettles had fallen off and let it dry on the plant, however the birds love them so you could net them or chop the head off and hang it up somewhere to dry, once dry pick out the seeds.

like i said thats only a guess on how you do it, im sure someone with more knowledge will be along in a bit.

thanks
matt

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 19:46 »
It's easy enough to cut the head and dry it hanging from it's stem, either in garage or shed.

Soak them overnight in salted water and then drain and roast them for 2 hours at 200C.
Leave to cool and eat but i have trouble getting them out of their shells with my fingers so use my teeth, shells everywhere  :lol: so I don't bother anymore, I buy the shelled ones for my breadmaking ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 22:29 »
Im sure its not the first time someones asked this  ??? but whats the best way to harvest and store sunflower seeds for 'human' consumption?

If you google 'how to harvest sunflower seed' there is a video on you tube of a guy who shows you how to do it. I checked it out today as I wanted to know. Was clearing up the last of the sunflower plants in the garden and it triggered my memory that I wanted to know. Last year the birds and mice got half of them and the ones I picked andhang up to dry went mouldy. I know why now. Have  a look at the youtube video!

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 37 queries.