Red mite vs. air compressor, anyone tried this?

• 8 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Red mite vs. air compressor, anyone tried this?
« on: February 16, 2012, 17:27 »
I was staring at my air compressor and suddenly thought could you blast the little blighters out of the coop with an air compressors degreaser attachment. Has anyone tried this method? Also whilst on the subject do you hose down the inside of your coops ever? In theory I reckon doing both would devestate a mite population. Maybe these things could be done prior to using mite powder  :D

Cheers

Kleftiwallah

Re: Red mite vs. air compressor, anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 18:06 »

I would think you'll be only moving them from 'A' to 'B'.   Now, if you had a grit blaster attachnment.  . ::)  .Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 18:09 »
 We do something along similar lines, pressure washer every 3 months or so, sprayed with anti bacterial solution first, leave to dry thoroughly, then mite powder with a big paint brush into corners. No mite in 4 years we`ve had the hens. So far....
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 18:31 »

Or how about the attachment that you use for waxoyl / undersealing?

Use the diatom' slurry, or similar through it and it maybe forced into the cracks you may miss with a brush.  :D

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 18:33 »
Using a air compressor would achieve one thing..You would be covered in em, not somthing I would fancy..Best solution is prevention...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05 »
sorry but an air compressor wouldn't work, like a jet wash it would just spread them. Steam cleaners work but you need a big industrial one not the little household type. I am lucky and have the use of a big steam cleaner so twice a year mine get done this way  :D.
If you don't have access to one of these then go down the route of poultry shield and diatom slurry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 19:48 »
Thanks for the tip. I shall keep my eyes peeled for a industrial steamer. I do have a household one but havent seen it for a few years now. I noticed wilkonsons do a range of chicken mite and louse powder. Has anyone had experience of this?

Ive only recently moved so am having trouble finding stockists of chicken feed and mite powder. Are garden centres the place to go? Im guessing with postage costs its not worth ordering online though I may just get some chick crumb online to get me started.

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:14 »
I use a sprayer to apply diatomaceous earth. Works well. See HFs threads; clean coop, mix as a cream and then spray. Lasts for months no need for mite killers and no risk to your or chooks.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44 »
Thanks for the tip. I shall keep my eyes peeled for a industrial steamer. I do have a household one but havent seen it for a few years now. I noticed wilkonsons do a range of chicken mite and louse powder. Has anyone had experience of this?

Ive only recently moved so am having trouble finding stockists of chicken feed and mite powder. Are garden centres the place to go? Im guessing with postage costs its not worth ordering online though I may just get some chick crumb online to get me started.

Most louse powders are just talcum powder and are ineffective. Go down the route of diatomaceous slurry mentioned. Hillfooters posts have the details.

Many larger pet food shops, horse supply shops and farmshops will supply what you need. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red mite

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 15:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 38 queries.