hose pipe ban?

• 155 Replies

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
Re: Possibility of hose pipe ban?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 03:49 »
Not allowed sheds???  I've never heard of such a crazy thing  :lol:
Where are you supposed to store your tools, and other equipment?
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19 »
Its to do with the land owners. It is a Parish Council site in a village that has been given to the Parish by the local estate. There are only 35ish plots and TBH its not difficult to take what you need there. I would rather that than have things stolen and the extra cost of replacing.

Apparently there is something in law that says if you allow the erection of buildings then in time the local council COULD possibly in time slap a compulsory purchase order on the site and build houses. Its one of those situation that really isn't worth the hassle of fighting. Everyone on site is happy, we can however have bench type seats which double as a tool store if we want, providing they are no more than a metre tall, which means you can build a 'roof' over your seat. (Imagine a football dugout type thing)
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 19:40 »
Another idea is to do what this guy does, having watched it, I think it's the way to go!
I am going to try it, depending on how much material I can get to do it.  He never has to water.  Have a look at his movie. http://backtoedenfilm.com/#movie  Could not get it to play in google chrome browser for some reason, but plays fine in Internet Explorer for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 19:44 by GrowinGrowinGone »

Goldfinger

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 19:56 »

Borehole / Well?  :unsure:

How much is it to get one in these days?

Maybe if everyone clubbed together (If in an association etc), could that be a way?

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 21:09 »
I'm sure you would need some permission, and probably some kind of license to do it. 

emptydraw

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39 »
So basically the only options we have are:
1) more water butts
2) mulch
3) collect grey water from home
4) move to the lake district

Are there any particular crops that do well in drought conditions?!?!? (I'm not expecting a long list!)

allot2learn

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 12:59 »
It looks like it isn't just a possibility any longer...............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17340844

Seven firms say they will impose water restrictions after two unusually dry winters left reservoirs, aquifers and rivers below normal levels.

Southern Water, South East Water, Thames Water, Anglian Water, Sutton and East Surrey, Veolia Central and Veolia South East are to enforce restrictions.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 13:10 »

Seven firms say they will impose water restrictions after two unusually dry winters left reservoirs, aquifers and rivers below normal levels.

Southern Water, South East Water, Thames Water, Anglian Water, Sutton and East Surrey, Veolia Central and Veolia South East are to enforce restrictions.

Although not quite on topic....... If Thames Water was to act more quickly to deal with their burst pipes and leaks  the savings would be enormous. Lost count of the times have rung to tell of a leak and it takes ages for them to stem the torrents :mad:

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 17:36 »

Although not quite on topic....... If Thames Water was to act more quickly to deal with their burst pipes and leaks  the savings would be enormous. Lost count of the times have rung to tell of a leak and it takes ages for them to stem the torrents :mad:

Absolutely... I love the fact that this is also after we've just had our new bill for April 2012-March 2013.  And it's gone up.  Cheeky sods.

jrko

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 18:38 »
mulch and collect/save water.

I dont understand how I can collect several 1000l of water over winter with my 1 shed roof but the water company seem looses it.

On the other hand I still can not believe we don't use desalinisation plants.  We are a tiny island with about 5000 miles of coast around mainland Britain. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jun/28/water-desalination-plant-beckton-london yes the date of that article is 28 June 2011 - 'Britain's first major foray into desalination'

I cant see Southern Water saying 'because of lack of rain over the last two winters the Atlantic is below safe level"
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

RobbieG83

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 18:47 »
There's always the option of growing less this year. Less plants = Less water usage
When i die i shall go to may. It will be green. Not environmentally correct green, for things will just be, without measurement or judgement, but actually the colour green in all its thousand shining faces.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 18:54 »
There's always the option of growing less this year. Less plants = Less water usage

Yes, and less to veg to eat. :(

RobbieG83

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 19:01 »
this is true.

i have another way its a bit cheeky but might work  :tongue2: we could use a piece of guttering held under a tap to direct the water to our plants. then technically we're not using a hosepipe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 19:05 »
On the other hand I still can not believe we don't use desalinisation plants.  We are a tiny island with about 5000 miles of coast around mainland Britain. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jun/28/water-desalination-plant-beckton-london yes the date of that article is 28 June 2011 - 'Britain's first major foray into desalination'

Desalination plants use an awful lot of energy, so are very expensive to run...that's why the Thames water one is a 'last resort' option.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 19:50 »
There may be some confusion over weather , and climate  The climate is changing and we will experience water shortages as a result due in part to poor water management, population growth and warmer dryer winters . weather on the other hand is the short term and we may well this summer follow a growing trend for wetter summers  ??? so its a bit complicated
Many gardeners simply over water giving a daily little tickle  causing the plant roots to stay close to the surface  most will survive with a weekly drench  plus giving the surface a good hoeing to break up the dry hard pan and to create larger air pockets to slow down the loss thro capillary action
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Hose pipe ban help

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 13:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:34
by theakston_uk
xx
Hose

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 39 queries.