hose pipe ban?

• 155 Replies

8doubles

Re: Possibility of hose pipe ban?
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13 »
Viettaclark is correct in what she said ,
 http://www.southernwater.co.uk/Environment/WaterResourcesLatest/Drought2012FAQ.asp

We are beholding to Thames Water here in Alton. :(

grendel

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2012, 22:41 »
just saw the news, they will save 40 million litres a day by banning hosepipes, shame about the 96 million litres a day they lose in leaks, all we are doing really is mitigating the downfalls of their delivery system. (not that I am proposing to flout the ban), if I had an outside tap I would forsee a long piece of guttering to deliver the water to my veg, as it stands now the water will have to be carried right from one end of the house to the other to get it to the garden, I imagine the floor will end up quite wet. - ooh safety hazard, do you think I can sue the water company if my mother in law slips on the wet floor?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2012, 22:49 »
No but she could sue you  :D  ::)

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2012, 22:59 »
got the calcuator out...

ladybower reservoir  (thats this place: link )
is 27,800,000 m3

so 27,800,000 m3 x1000 gives me 27,800,000,000 liters

27,800,000,000 liters devided by 96,000,000 liters

=289.58

so in 290 days they lose the equivelent of ladybower in leaks  :wacko:

8doubles

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2012, 08:14 »
Re- hosepipes, if my neigbours dirty cat is in my garden can i wash it for him? :) ;)

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2012, 08:29 »
Am I the only person in favour of the hosepipe ban? I am surprised by all the negativity towards it, especially in the media. There was a lady on the news the other day watering daffodils and complaining she's going to have to use a watering can  ::)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2012, 09:16 »
Whilst I appreciate there is a lot of leakage in the old water transport infrastructure - we used to have a neighbour who managed a team of Thames Water engineers - if there were less apparently selfish people like the lady you describe, I think it would work towards there being less need for a hosepipe ban....  :closedeyes:

The water authorities need to keep enough water moving round the system to keep the fish in the rivers alive and healthy and therefore the otters and others further up the foodchain. It would be an ecological disaster if this was left to die off.

I also think that people who grow their own, could be given some kind of water use concession, but I can't see how this would work. :(

[/soapbox]
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2012, 18:51 »
Am I the only person in favour of the hosepipe ban? I am surprised by all the negativity towards it, especially in the media. There was a lady on the news the other day watering daffodils and complaining she's going to have to use a watering can  ::)

I am in two minds about the ban. I do agree that  people do over water and water inefficiently, e.g the daffodils :wacko:.
I also think that we in the Western world do take our water sytems for granted, and things we take for granted are often not valued or respected until they are scarce or not there.

I spend a deal of my time nagging offspring and girlfriend about wasteful use of this valuable commodity, while washing up and showering, which is starting to have an effect :)
And when teaching, my year fours were so indoctinated about not leaving taps on that they would harass other kids in the school to turn off taps. :)

However my bloodboils when you hear of the amount of water the water companies are losing :mad: And it would seem that they are more concerned with making a profit than dealing with the leaks and forward planning for times such as this.
They put up our bills again this year. I wonder if we can claim a rebate :dry:

I am one of those complete pains in the 'arris if I see a leak  will harass Thames water to get it fixed. Have a lot in our area. Gallons of it gushing up through the road. The fixes don't seem to  happen very quickly and often start  further down the hill. SOAPBOX :mad:

However, I am doing my bit by bailing out the washing up water in to a bucket and workingout ways of harvesting the bathwater and not flushing the loo all the time. OH went out to get a new rose for the watering can. The exercise may help to shed a few ponds.

Auntiemogs

Re: hose pipe ban?
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2012, 19:34 »
I think it's good in that it makes people think twice before 'wasting' water (including my two young men (they of the 30 min shower)).  :ohmy:
They are becoming accustomed to the 'if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down' way of thinking.
I've just had my water meter fitted  :( but apparently u get 3 months to 'get used to the idea', which is a relief! 
If you can afford a huge water bill, then this is a great leveler.
I'm 'lucky' in that I have a blue badge and so am 'exempt' for now but still wouldn't use my hose unless it was absolutely necessary and have just ordered stuff to extend my irrigation system.  I think of it as a long term investment and if you're any way 'crook' it's an absolute blessing to know your babies will get a good watering even if you're feeling pants.  :)
Yes, the water companies could do a lot with the huge bonuses they're handing out for underperforming but we are still very fortunate to have drinking quality water delivered on demand.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

grendel

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2012, 19:58 »
unfortunately my mother in law is living with us and is on chemotherapy, she has been told she is highly toxic, and has to double bag tissues if she blows her nose, and double flush the toilet, to ensure that the chemo chemicals in her body dont affect anyone, apparently even a splash of the water after a single flush can cause skin cancer, so while we are being told to save water she is having to deliberately waste it by double flushing - even her washing has to be done separately too.
my dad sinks plastic tubes 18" into the ground near the roots of his plants and waters into the tubes so it all goes down to the roots.
Grendel

Ivor Backache

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2012, 20:09 »
The general consensus amongst the allotment holders in my area is that we will not have a hosepipe ban. All the reservoirs are full or nearly full. It is absurd that different areas are subjected to differing rules.
We have a National Grid for gas and electric, why not for water? Its not as if they have to lay miles of pipe-just pump it over(or though) the mountain into the next valley.
Welsh Water is owned by the customers and we get a small dividend payout. All the other water companies are  foreign owned and traded on the stock market.
Several years ago WW had a rolling program of pipe replacement. Every road junction was dug up. Pipes lined and all valves replaced.Traffic lights were everywhere. But all that is forgotten and I have not seen a  water leak since.  
Electrical leakage and gas leaks are a major issue, but not so with water. The Daily Mail published water leakage for each company and it is just unacceptable.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2012, 20:17 »
unfortunately my mother in law is living with us and is on chemotherapy, she has been told she is highly toxic, and has to double bag tissues if she blows her nose, and double flush the toilet, to ensure that the chemo chemicals in her body dont affect anyone, apparently even a splash of the water after a single flush can cause skin cancer, so while we are being told to save water she is having to deliberately waste it by double flushing - even her washing has to be done separately too.
my dad sinks plastic tubes 18" into the ground near the roots of his plants and waters into the tubes so it all goes down to the roots.
Grendel
Oh dear Grendel, I am so sorry.  :( I hope you are all 'coping' ok? I never realised those chemicals were so toxic!  :ohmy:
A few extra flushes and washes are microscopic in the greater scheme of things so I do hope I haven't offended you?
Mags xx

grendel

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2012, 20:53 »
no offence taken - we too didnt realise until it was explained just how careful you have to be by the chemo nurse, apparently they have to be ultra careful, being around it all day. he did say even with the double flush to try and make sure no pets or toddlers tried to drink the toilet water.
Grendel

Auntiemogs

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2012, 21:17 »
no offence taken - we too didnt realise until it was explained just how careful you have to be by the chemo nurse, apparently they have to be ultra careful, being around it all day. he did say even with the double flush to try and make sure no pets or toddlers tried to drink the toilet water.
Grendel
From their point of view, yes, I guess it makes sense (like being overexposed to antibiotics). From your MIL's, I guess the most important thing is to reduce the risk of infection (like my mum with MS). So, in summary, non-slip matting for MIL to water garden ( :D) and no eau de toilette for the grendlings.  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2012, 23:46 »
They are becoming accustomed to the 'if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down' way of thinking. quote

Yep, us too Auntie. :D

Ivor, I think selling off the utilities  was one of the worst things done by the goverment.
We all get rightly narked about the Banker's big bonus' for doing their jobs badly but the bosses of the water companies are as bad :mad:

xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Hose pipe ban help

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 13:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:34
by theakston_uk
xx
Hose

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 38 queries.