Re: hose pipe ban?
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2012, 10:45 »
Bewl water 48%  :(
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2897671

click on the Dec 2011 pic and it was much worse  :ohmy:

Rallychef

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2012, 13:01 »
My son works for United Utilities, up here in Cumbria, (on the waste water side) but recons our resovoirs are at 90%, fairly normal for the time of year.

regards ian D

On saying that, I have no water supply to our allotment, all water collected in buts or transported from home so watering is still done carefully
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 13:24 by Rallychef »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2012, 17:33 »
So far we are still enjoying life as normal here in sunny eld Lancashire, we have some grand neighbours to the North  ;)

However hose pipes on the plot really do make me mad and my blood boil  :mad: We have a couple of holders who abuse them instead of putting effort into finding water butts etc. I have now told the commitee and those involved that I will be monitoring the use of hose pipes, as it is easy to work out how much water is being used and the cost and pass this onto the federation when the bills are being made for next year.

We have tried to educate them into how to grow without using the hose but they just carry on as normal but the time has come for change as we are now paying for our water and it is being monitored and I will not pay for muppets who abuse them.

I have two butts from freecycle, two ex wheelie bins and a couple of old water tanks, its is very rare that I go to the tap, but thats me, I make the effort.

As mentioned, the use of hose pipes to fill butts I have no problem with, but to stand there for an hour or two watering the weeds etc I have. I almost want us to have a ban on hoses just to stop those using them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jrko

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2012, 18:15 »
I'm with you Aidy.  I took the effort and some swine nicked 800l of my stored water. 

I think perhaps that hosepipes tend to make people wasteful.  Having to carry 40 watering cans to water carefully and sparingly really teaches you what NEEDS to be watered!

BTW Aidy one more post and your at 4000!!
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2012, 18:43 »
He's only a part-timer!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2012, 19:33 »
He's only a part-timer!

part timer or not dd  :) seems to me that he has the right princaples in life :D :D all for the part timers -----  but that,s just me--- forever the underdog :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2012, 19:39 »
Bewl water 48%  :(
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2897671

click on the Dec 2011 pic and it was much worse  :ohmy:

Does anyone know how full it needs to be to get through the summer?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be 100% but would 60% be enough for example?

AnneB

« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2012, 21:42 »
I think I should be grateful really, but it is quite hard.  Last weekend I bailed out gallons of water that had flooded the latest raised bed we had dug out on the one dry day we had had for ages.   It is now under water again, thanks to the continuous deluge in this part of Yorkshire.

I will have to go into the export market.  Water butts full, ground totally waterlogged.

I suppose I can grow celery, celeriac and leeks OK.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2012, 21:52 »
I think I should be grateful really, but it is quite hard.  Last weekend I bailed out gallons of water that had flooded the latest raised bed we had dug out on the one dry day we had had for ages.   It is now under water again, thanks to the continuous deluge in this part of Yorkshire.

I will have to go into the export market.  Water butts full, ground totally waterlogged.

I suppose I can grow celery, celeriac and leeks OK.

Have you considered Rice?

AnneB

« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2012, 22:16 »
Now there's a thought.  However, I doubt it is warm enough......Cold and wet, a lovely combination, not.

Paul Plots

« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02 »

As mentioned, the use of hose pipes to fill butts I have no problem with, but to stand there for an hour or two watering the weeds etc I have. I almost want us to have a ban on hoses just to stop those using them.

There's a character on our allotment site who stands through the summer with hose in hand most evenings watering everything in sight. Such a waste!

At least he's stopped using everyone elses water butts to dip his can in but that took a bit of persuasion. His English has improved over the years and generally he's a nice chap but water wise.... a wash-out!!  :(

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2012, 18:24 »

There's a character on our allotment site who stands through the summer with hose in hand most evenings watering everything in sight. Such a waste!

At least he's stopped using everyone elses water butts to dip his can in but that took a bit of persuasion. His English has improved over the years and generally he's a nice chap but water wise.... a wash-out!!  :(

when you say "his english has improved " does that mean he now speak,s fluent anglo saxon cos of all of the other plot holder,s telling him off for abusing other peoples water butts  :lol:

grendel

« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2012, 18:27 »
have you noticed how karcher pressure washers are now advertising they can run off of a water butt?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2012, 18:28 »
have you noticed how karcher pressure washers are now advertising they can run off of a water butt?
Grendel

Yes. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2012, 19:01 »
the river's the highest ive seen it in ages, its a good 6ft above normal!

xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Hose pipe ban help

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 13:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:34
by theakston_uk
xx
Hose

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.745 seconds with 38 queries.