hose pipe ban?

• 155 Replies

jay001

• Experienced Member
Re: hose pipe ban?
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2012, 15:19 »
Down here in Norfolk we have had rain every day since the hosepipe ban was introduced on Thursday and more to come all week by the sound of it. :lol: I live near Denver where the sluice is and have just been told that it was overflowing so we sent a load of water to Essex. I assume Anglian water made a tidy sum from this. We would like it back now please. :)
Also on the subject of blue badge holders being able to use hosepipes, I have no objection for watering of veggies but have a wheelchair bound neighbour who will be watering his well established shrubs every day through the summer for at least an hour a day. >:(  It drives me mad!

oooh boy a comment on the site that makes me so angry i will end up getting barred if i dont word it correctly just when i have found a new lease of life with my dissability you come out with a comment like that !!! i have been in a wheelchair just feeling sorry for myself (after stroke ) now am not in it and my little comunial garden is what i live for now ,comment,s from my neibours,6 of us in this complex,all worse off than me is ooh its going to look so good this year and the fact that i am outside means i get to see a human being again SO DONT DISH YOUR NEIBOUR !!! just cos he has a blue badge and can water!! that might be the only chance of some happiness in his or her,s day that they will get!!
sorry about the rant but a subject close to my heart  obviously

cheers jay and i hope i handled that correctly cos love this site and the people on it
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2012, 15:36 »
calm down, jay001, the law is more sensible. anyone could have a moment of ignorant.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2012, 16:01 »
I think what maxyboo was meaning was, that even though her neighbour does have a blue badge and is in a wheelchair,  there is still no reason to waste as much water as watering his shrubs for an hour every day!

There are many people on here Jay that have disabilities of one sort or another, but like you, their gardens mean a lot to them.  So you are not alone!  :)

So, tell me if I'm prying, but is this garden and growing you talk about a communal garden for all 6 of you?

Well that's lovely.  The others will be getting the benefit of whatever you are growing too.  Are you just into veggies, or flowers and things as well?

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2012, 16:17 »
I think what maxyboo was meaning was, that even though her neighbour does have a blue badge and is in a wheelchair,  there is still no reason to waste as much water as watering his shrubs for an hour every day!

There are many people on here Jay that have disabilities of one sort or another, but like you, their gardens mean a lot to them.  So you are not alone!  :)

So, tell me if I'm prying, but is this garden and growing you talk about a communal garden for all 6 of you?

Well that's lovely.  The others will be getting the benefit of whatever you are growing too.  Are you just into veggies, or flowers and things as well?

yes it is annie  going to fill boarder,s fron and rear with flower,s and also front and rear container grown veg --- see allready i have calmed down ,the rest of the neibours dont like the veg i am growing,garlic,onion and more chilli pepper,s than you can shake a stick at --thanks to mattwrag :D cheers jay

maxyboo

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2012, 19:00 »
I am sorry if I offended you Jay but you do not know my neighbour.  Thank you GrannieAnnie. That is exactly what I meant and I stand by it.  If you believe he should water many years old shrubs for over an hour on daily basis during a water shortage then we must agree to disagree. It is not a sociable hobby as he never speaks with anyone else, but yes it is great that he can still get out and enjoy his garden and use his hose on his veg and bedding plants. I would never say that he should not be allowed to.
 I look after a lady who is severly disabled and have no objection whatsoever to her using a hosepipe and actively encourage her to get into the garden, but she is not the sort to waste water for the sake of it. He, unfortunately is. The shrubs have blown out of the ground in the past because they have no root system so it obviously does them no good.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 19:27 by maxyboo »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2012, 19:21 »
Please agree to disagree, and leave it there or the thread will be locked for being argumentative.

maxyboo

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2012, 19:26 »
Fine with me and I will apologise again for offending you Jay. Good luck with your communal garden. Don't worry about the neighbours not liking the veg being grown. They will soon change their minds when they taste it. :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2012, 21:14 »
Fine with me and I will apologise again for offending you Jay. Good luck with your communal garden. Don't worry about the neighbours not liking the veg being grown. They will soon change their minds when they taste it. :)

point taken maxy and mos will look more carfully at something posted in the future before i go off on one again ,relalise that i took it out of contex --so sorry to all --- think before you leap and foot in mouth spring to mind in my case  :D

cheers jay  8) ps hope they do moxy the 2 penshoner lady,s like nothing better than that traditional old uk dish of having boiled cabbage to death for a couple of hours and presumable only serving it up when it has changed colour and gone soggy  :D any way back to original subject just had weather on --all rain tonight and through monday so who needs a hosepipe anyway :D

grendel

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2012, 14:04 »
well since its raining again, and I have already decanted at least 7 gallons off into plastic water containers, my butts are nearly full again, so I just went out and fitted a new overflow from the butts, now there is a flexible pipe outlet, with for the moment an old kitchen bin under the outlet to catch the overspill.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

savbo

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2012, 15:38 »
I'm not letting the weather make me complacent - even though I have 4 butts on the plot all overflowing, I'm thinking about how to get 2 or 3 more set up - or even an IBC if I can find one cheap...

Paul Plots

« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2012, 00:30 »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't end up with a summer of frequent floods.

(Ever the optimist!!)  :unsure:  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2012, 11:24 »
With the reporting of a possibility of a hose pipe ban and probable stand pipes in my anglian water area, I was wondering what tips everyone had that keep their plants hydrated and stop loss of moisture? Thanks

Something that I'm looking at doing, but don't know much about, is slowing down the constant breeze from the sea on my plot.

I do know that plants are breathing out water all the time they are growing, and that when there's a breeze they lose even more in this way, trying to keep a mist over themselves (to protect from the sun?)

So am thinking of putting 2-metre high netting on the side of the plot nearest the sea.  Anyone done this?  Must be loads of people on exposed sites, not necessarily near the sea.  Good idea? Bad?

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Paul Plots

« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28 »
Tom I have a friend who lives right on the coast over looking the Channel and Isle of Wight. To protect her garden from occasional stormy winds blown in from the sea she has grown a long line of tamarisk. We have some too. As tough as old boots, can be cut hard back and will resist the worst of weather as well as salt spray. (Flowers in May but there are different varieties)

But... I'm not sure you'd welcome their shade or need for water from your growing area.

Just an alternative option (and maybe cheaper one if you can find a local nursery wanting to reduce their stock or getting rid of pot bound plants as we did).  

Tamarix (tamarisk, salt cedar)

Click for Information

Lots of places sell them - Here's one!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:32 by Paul Plots »

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 06:55 »
Thanks PP.  I had thought of growing a windbreak but worry about it robbing the plot.  I'd still value the partial shade though.

Hadn't thought of Tamarisk, which grows freely here, but when I looked it up it does need fertile soil, which I want for my crops!

Someone on my site does grow a windbreak of runner beans all along one side of his plot, in the same place every year.  But he trenches out and fills it with manure every year too.  That would be more work than I can handle, hence thoughts towards netting, which I'd take down in winter.

Best wishes

Tom

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30 »
Found this link on the Severn Trent WA's site.

Updated weekly, so this was before the current rain.

Reservoir Levels

(We don't have a ban, by the way).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Hose pipe ban help

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 13:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:34
by theakston_uk
xx
Hose

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.824 seconds with 38 queries.