Cold frame thingy

• 4 Replies

chrislilley123

Cold frame thingy
« on: February 15, 2012, 16:20 »
Just bought a plastic greenhouse from argos you know the realy cheap one for about £50, what a load of rubbish, total waste of money. That will teach me to do things to quickly and cheaply. The thing is i cant afford a decent greenhouse so would it be just as good if i made a sort of coldframe thingy and use corrugated roofing sheet or polycarbonate twin wall sheet for its roof and walls. Proberly a real stupid question but i just dont have a clue, any guidance would be most readily accepted.
Many Thanks in Advance

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Cold frame thingy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 16:50 »
Do you still have the greenhouse?  They are poor, but you ought to get a couple of seasons out of them with a little planning and a bit of luck.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88564.0
Cheese makes everything better.

noshed

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 17:05 »
I you're not fussy what it looks like, just build a cold frame from old window frames. I got some off freecycle and then built a box from pallets so that they would form a lid.
Even an orange box with a bit of plastic over the top would be OK - or get a polystyrene box from a chinese supermarket or fishmongers and put some plastic on the top.
I think they are as good as greenhouses, cost very little and can be used flexibly. They are also very tempting to cats who want to sunbathe.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

savbo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 16:25 »
...and as lots of thread have covered before, you don;t have to pay a lot - or anything -  for a greenhouse if you are prepared to hunt, wait and dismantle yourself. I have 3 now and the most expensive was a near perfect 6x6 for £100 with 2 coldframes and staging thrown in. a 12x 8 cost 50 and an 8x6 was free off Freegle..

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 22:24 »
just keep trawling the internet..i got my 8x8 for £20 (about 8 mile away from my house too!) just before Christmas...so there is deals to be had...you just need to hunt them down

xx
cold frame?

Started by viettaclark on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 00:22
by viettaclark
xx
Best cold frame

Started by Salmo on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 15:56
by noshed
xx
Cold Frame

Started by derekmc on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2016, 17:17
by Plotmaster
xx
Cold frame

Started by Brushcutter on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 17:55
by JayG

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 29 queries.