stolen!

• 43 Replies

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Re: stolen!
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 14:49 »
Good news, hope they get what they deserve...
Knowing the justice system today a slap on the wrist and a compensation claim for the mental stress caused by their arrest!! >:( :(

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 15:06 »
All to often the case, victim suffers the most.

Helenaj

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 15:34 »
Shetan - sorry to hear about your hens - hopefully they have caught the ones responsible and although it's unlikely you'll get your birds back, hopefully it will stop some other poor person having to go through the same.
On the subject of barbed wire - I have put that all around my back garden and then trailed "Mile a Minute" Clematis over it - it has completely hidden the barbed wire in two seasons and the little b******ds get quite a shock if they try and use it to climb over! If you do intend to try Clematis, place it where your chooks can't get at the green shoots as it can be poisonous if eaten in quantity, but your hens will probably pick that up by instinct cos' they are clever souls.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 16:20 »
Shetan do you know if the police have paid them a home visit to check for your hens ??

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 17:22 »
Keeping our fingers crossed for you.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 17:49 »
sorry to hear they came back. Heard yesterday about another Chicken theft of more rare breeds from Cotmanhay, Derbyshire  :(. Sad times we live in.
Staffies are softer than you think.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 09:07 »
just to update you.

had a call from the police last night. turns out our hunch was right. one of the men is related to the woman who comes to cut next door's grass but there isn't enough evidence to do anything about her. we can only make a formal complaint to the council and request she is reallocated - although i think she should face dismissal.

they checked both the men's properties and found feathers at one, that they described as brown with white spots - my sussex i presume :( but no sign of the jerseys. the men won't admit to taking them so won't say where they've gone. everything is circumstantial i guess - they've said they brought meat birds from market and gutted them themselves.

we can't really get any justice but i've just spoken to the manager and as the allotment thinks very highly of us they will be trying to have them prosecuted for trespassing. i mentioned everyone's suggestions from here and i think a couple of the chaps want to donate some trailing plants if we decide to go down the barbed wire route. we'll need to do something as its next door's gate which seems to be the weak point in our security.

i think they'd have taken our giant conti too if they'd had the chance.

just wanted to say thanks to you all for your support. its sad that we live in times where the excuse 'we are hard done by and can't afford anything' is a good enough excuse to make justice feel sorry for these types of people while we are left worse off and are probably just as hard done by.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

ANHBUC

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 12:04 »
Maybe we all need to keep sample feathers of our flock so that we can match with the ones found at the thieves home!   ::)

You need to put a formal complaint in to the Council about their employee.  Do you have a record of the dates your hens went missing last time?  The Council should have records of where the employee was working at that time.  Point out the fact that the council property boundry is making your property vulnerable to thieves.  A chat with Citizens Advice or if your council is Labour have a chat with the Conservative MP for your area might get the right result.

Good luck.  

Realised that you said you made a complaint 2 years ago and she was relocated, you may have a case against the council with them letting her back.  This needs to be pointed out to the Police as evidence as the council should have a record of it.  The Police should be looking into her working areas and other thefts as I am sure it won't just be chickens that they have helped themselves to.  There might be burglaries or other thefts which would be hard to explain away the more evidence they get.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:16 by ANHBUC »

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 13:23 »
Glad you have some sort of closure or at least some light at the end of the tunnel.

As much as I hate people that steal anything I feel that it should be pointed out that whilst the use of barbed wire and other methods of preventing access to your property (e.g. nails or broken glass embedded in a wall etc) is not outright illegal you do have a duty of care towards others, including tresspassers and if you don't tell people that you are using barbed wire or any other method to discourage intruders then YOU could be the one in court not the trespasser.  If you do choose to use this method you must make sure that you put up a sign to tell people, and you must keep that sign readable.

You also need to know that as part of the 1980 Highways act you can be ordered to remove it if it causes a nuissance to the general public if the fence or wall adjoins a public highway, and this could include the risk that someone could hurt themselves on it if they were just walking past and tripped on something else.

I don't want to rain on your parade because after several break ins and thefts from the allotments I too think that hanging is too good for the b******ds but you don't want to become the one in the wrong here.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 15:50 »
anhbuc - i remember the last time clear as day. i went to get hubby from the airport and the local officer said at the time that it seemed as though the house had been watched.
we do have records of this and i will be going down on monday to kick up a stink. we're pretty sure they've just been taking livestock and pets. apparently (and we only know this because an officer let it slip) one of the men was known to them for taking a blue staffie and selling it on as a rare breed from someone's garden.

suzi - thank you for pointing out the pros and cons. unfortunately we are aware that its no longer true when you say an english man's home is his castle and its is more likely that we would be at fault if anything happened to a trespasser and not the other way around. we've complained about the security issue before and were told that the rotten fence would be replaced by what was already there - a 2 foot, wire and  stake picket fence which is rubbish when the dog is taller than that when standing next to it! if he got out of the unlocked gate and it or someone got hurt - it would be our own fault! so we're  scrimping to put yet another 120 foot of fencing up.

although - i'll be talking to my solicitor and perhaps as this is the second time someone has used that particular access, we might just take the council on.

ANHBUC

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 21:20 »
I believe you can get a free half hour consultation with a solicitor.

Also had a thought, surely the poultry auction keeps records of sales with the movement of livestock I am sure they would have to.  If the thieves said they bought chickens from an auction there should be a record.  If there isn't it should help your case.  Even if they did buy some chickens, the records would have to show a similar breed to the feathers found.  The auction should aso be able to tell you what breeds were sold on the auction date the thieves said they bought theirs.  The more ammunition you get the better case you will have.

You should be able to get compensation for your loss from the council as they have been negligent in letting the employee back after your first complaint.

Wishing you luck and I hope the thieves and their accomplice get what they deserve.

Sassy

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38 »
I would just like to join in in wishing you all the luck in the world in sorting these issues out. Unfurtunately I suspect you may have to do the work yourself!!

The police may only look on it as petty theft - despite the effect on the victims - but it is petty offences that grow to become very large offences!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beano

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 09:03 »
I would just like to join in in wishing you all the luck in the world in sorting these issues out
Same here!!

It's a strange council that is quite happy to employ thieves. It's obvious that they know what she's up to and still they keep her on to steal from the very people who pay their extortionate  council tax.

Rant over, I'm so glad that you and the allotment people managed to catch them despite the police.
El.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 12:44 »
I would just like to join in in wishing you all the luck in the world in sorting these issues out

It's a strange council that is quite happy to employ thieves. It's obvious that they know what she's up to and still they keep her on to steal from the very people who pay their extortionate  council tax.
If the council dont have solid evidence of her activities there is probably not a lot they can do on regarding her employment. It can be very difficult to sack someone without conclusive proof

xx
Stolen Egg's

Started by Lakisha354 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 10:22
by Sassy
xx
stolen

Started by izzy on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 08:53
by izzy
xx
STOLEN

Started by JANEVANS02 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 11:21
by babe
xx
stolen birds!

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 21:35
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 37 queries.