Injured leg

• 17 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Injured leg
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 17:20 »
An antibiotic syrup for a child is in no way shape or form suitable to administer to chickens, even if the base ingredient is the same as a veterinary product.

While the information may have been interesting to readers, we (the site) can't condone administering a VOM/POM (veterinary/prescription only medicine) to animals without the knowledge and consent of a vet.

Staffies are softer than you think.

Pencrugmawr

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53 »
As promised, a final posting for those of you who were concerned about my hen's welfare, but in no way wishing to revive the debate. I agree that the moderators cannot condone my unorthodox approach, though I did have medical advice from a doctor in the family and know that antibiotics, unlike some medicines, can be used across different species.

You'll be glad to hear that after 48 hours on antibiotics she's more or less completely recovered. Though the nail is still black, she is now standing on both legs and even using the bad leg to scratch around with. She's keeping up with the others well, so not needing to spend time on her own.

Before and during treatment she showed no signs of serious distress other than being lame: bright red comb, good appetite, pecking around rather than crouching, and laying an egg every day.

This is my final posting and I accept the forum's strong views against my approach to hen-keeping.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 09:10 »
I have merged this post with your previous, however i do note that you now say you asked a family member who is a Dr. which is not what you said in your previous posts - in fact you said:-

The antibiotic is amoxycillin 250mg/5ml and here is a link to the website that gave me the dosage information: http://zooveterinary.com/veterinary-drugs/broad-spectrum-penicillins.

Googling by another member as well as asking a vet also came up with this:-

"I went on the net last night as well as asking a vet and the concensus was no way not in any circumstaces should this be done, I was also informed that this is a prisonable offence."

I know that with my vet any treatment that is for another species has to be signed for and they go to great lengths to work out the correct dosage, strength and when to administer.
I am pleased she is on the mend but please in future if your pet is ill take them to a vet.

xx
Injured hen, please help

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 23:41
by Ruby Red
xx
MY INJURED HEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 15:22
by kegs
xx
injured hen

Started by bimbler on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 10:46
by Kate and her Ducks
clip
Has she injured herself?

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 17:49
by TashaH

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 38 queries.