teabag using

• 31 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
teabag using
« on: February 12, 2012, 18:28 »
i didnt know where to put this post so hope its ok here.

i was wondering what the benefit of adding tea bags to the allotment? i drink so much of it was thinking its a waste to bin them all the time.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: teabag using
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 18:31 »
They work fine in the compost, if you have a bin, but won't do any harm straight on the plot.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 18:35 »
yeh i have a heap i can put them on. put wondered if drying them out and put into the soil would give exra benefit to veg.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 18:41 »
I don't think so particularly, the compost heap will be just fine.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 18:45 »
ok thanks :)

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 18:46 »
Tea bags and coffee grinds are suitable for the compost bin.

make sure you mix it in to the compost - equal mix of vegetable waste, paper, cardboard, egg shells, fruit waste / apple cores, bannana peals, etc.
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 19:25 »
Be aware that some tea bags don't rot down fully as they have a plastic type coating.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 20:16 »
I've been adding them to the compost for the past year. I have to say, I don't know why, but my wife read they were good for the compost/garden somewhere!! I also used to save the eggshells until I read on this forum that sometimes they can attract foxes to dig - so now the eggshells go in the council green bin.

Does anyone know if tea bags do have any benefit or is it just an environmentally friendly way to dispose of them?
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

wighty

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 20:40 »
I rip mine open and spread the contents on a piece of newspaper to 'dry out'.  The local nursery use dry tea instead of sand in the sand pit.  Done it ever since the girls went there years ago. The 'outside' bit goes in the council compost bin.  I still save a lot of stuff for the nursery for those 'sculptures' that our 'babies' are so proud of.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 20:55 »
I bypass the compost route in summer and drop them around my rose plants, along with banana peels. The roses love them.

Otherwise, yes, all my teabags go into the compost. I never bother to tear open the bags, too much pfaffing.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46 »
I bypass the compost route in summer and drop them around my rose plants, along with banana peels. The roses love them.

Otherwise, yes, all my teabags go into the compost. I never bother to tear open the bags, too much pfaffing.

I think I may eat too many bananas and drink too much tea; my plants would soon disappear under a pile of rubbish  :lol:

Or, do you bury them slightly to rot into the soil, replacing when they have 'disappeared'?
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:27 »
As above I tear open the teabag and chuck on the compost heap as ive found the bags dont always rot down if left whole.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

RobertSongs

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20 »
You can ask at your local starbucks for used coffee grounds and they will usually give you as much as you want....I had to stop getting from ours because I couldnt keep up with the amount they were providing..but if im passing ill pop in have a coffee and leave with a bag full of grounds for the compost it usually has tea bags in it aswell..My compost worms do love an espresso... :)
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24 »
Sainsburys cafe have a notice on the coffee machine to say that coffee grindings are available for compost use.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 11:57 »
You can ask at your local starbucks for used coffee grounds and they will usually give you as much as you want....I had to stop getting from ours because I couldnt keep up with the amount they were providing..but if im passing ill pop in have a coffee and leave with a bag full of grounds for the compost it usually has tea bags in it aswell..My compost worms do love an espresso... :)

Hope your worms aren't suffering from sleep deprivation!  ::)

I chuck used teabags in my "kitchen vegetable waste" Dalek and never see them again (well, not in any recognisable form anyway.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.