Baby Victoria Plum trees

• 6 Replies

johnyboy

Baby Victoria Plum trees
« on: February 07, 2012, 15:36 »
Hi All

I have purchased some Victoria Plum trees online and when they turned up they were very small and not what I would call trees. Because I want my plot for years I have persevered with them. They are what can only be described as a foot in height stick. What do I need to do to give these babys the best start and getting the trees starting to form in the right way? How long would it be until they may fruit?

Any help would be appreciated

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Baby Victoria Plum trees
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 16:34 »
How long would it be until they may fruit?

Silly answer: Hope you are young and in good health!  ::)

Better answer: About 4 or 5 years to fruiting.

Best answer: This nearly always very useful website.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sion01

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 22:27 »
Plums like moist soil but one that isn't waterlogged.If the soil isnt that moisture retentive dig in plenty of well rotted manure.Don't skimp on the preperation or you'll regret it.If you can try and plant where the early morning sun won't get to it as it can burn the blossom if they are lightly frosted.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 14:31 »
we got some trees loke that and thought we would be long gone befor we saw any thing from them , it took about 3/ 4 years till they were trees but was woth the weight
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

stompy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 14:50 »
You'll be suprised how quickly they grow, 2 years full growth and in the 3rd year there will be blossom just don't let too many fruit form maybe a quarter of what sets. (there won't be many though)

I have a Victoria that has one years growth on it and it has a very good leader and 4 side branches i will prune the 4 side branches back by two thirds in spring to an outward faceing bud and leave the leader to grow to the final height that i want the tree to grow.

Then in the 3rd year i will do the same again but will begin to get fruit from the tree as i did on my last tree that i had on my old plot.

I prune cherries the same

gobs

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 17:56 »
Hi All

I have purchased some Victoria Plum trees online and when they turned up they were very small and not what I would call trees. Because I want my plot for years I have persevered with them. They are what can only be described as a foot in height stick. What do I need to do to give these babys the best start and getting the trees starting to form in the right way? How long would it be until they may fruit?

Any help would be appreciated

Are you saying, you had them for years and they are still just a foot? Where have you bought them from? Were they very cheap? For they sound like seedlings. How many years have you had them for?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 19:01 »
It sounds like you've bought a whip, these should take up to 3 years to start fruiting.

If the soil isnt that moisture retentive dig in plenty of well rotted manure.Don't skimp on the preperation or you'll regret it.

Recent studies have shown that it is best not to add any fertilizer to the ground before planting, the main reason for this is the roots on the tree spiral in the hole you dug and prepared. This is because the tree thinks that it doesn't need to produce a strong root system as it has everything it needs in that one hole. And if the roots start to spiral, then it can lead to the plant rocking and more importantly, it simply wont survive.

If your worried about the tree not getting enough moisture, then add some water retaining gel to the hole. :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

xx
Victoria plum.

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 21:09
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Victoria plum

Started by eddie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 12:35
by Yorkie
xx
victoria plum

Started by eddie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 20:38
by eddie
xx
Victoria plum

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 14:59
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 30 queries.