Compost help

• 10 Replies

ClaireV

Compost help
« on: February 06, 2012, 14:37 »
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to allotments and so this may seem really stupid, but I need advice about my compost bin please.  I was allocated a plot last week (very exciting!), and there is already a compost bin.  I made a small start clearing my plot and put the grass, leaves etc on top of the compost but now after reading a few pieces of info I'm starting to think I've done the wrong thing.  Am I right in thinking I should remove what I've put on there and start a new heap (and use up the existing compost as I clear the beds as it seems pretty established)?  A step by step guide for dummies should do the trick  ;)

Thanks!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 14:45 »
The only thing you've really done "wrong" is to bury what could be compost in perfect condition to use on your plot (on the other hand it might be nowhere near ready but you won't know unless you have a look!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 15:06 »

I would just chuck all the weeds from your initial clearing up into a big heap somewhere secluded and forget about them.

Don't get het up about not doing 'something by the book'.  Enjoy your gardening is the first rule.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

ClaireV

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 16:11 »
Thanks both, I believe the compost underneath has been there a while so will take your advice and move what I've put on there already and start a new heap!  There are 2 compost bins (1 large and 1 even larger) so will empty one to start another.

Thanks,
Claire

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 19:30 »
Here are two good, if similar, videos on it:

oSqlQ-P5CZQ
AJuiNtXXB58feature=related

The key to composting is layering browns and greens, either equally or more browns than greens. And keep the moisture level even as this is the 'fire' for composting.

At one time, people recommended adding small twigs to the bottom of the pile. But I always found the twigs didn't compost as fast as everything else and got tangled in my good stuff, so now, like the videos, I use old straw. Farmers might have bales of old straw they'd like rid of for free so you can always ask around. Browns also include shredded boxes, paper, even natural fibre clothes (cut into pieces).

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 19:38 »
Browns also include shredded boxes, paper, even natural fibre clothes (cut into pieces).

Last year I buried a very tired but otherwise complete pair of denim jeans in my bean trench which I dug out again about a week ago and found just the zip and a tiny piece of cloth with the two studs attached still remaining!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 21:58 »
Browns also include shredded boxes, paper, even natural fibre clothes (cut into pieces).

Last year I buried a very tired but otherwise complete pair of denim jeans in my bean trench which I dug out again about a week ago and found just the zip and a tiny piece of cloth with the two studs attached still remaining!  :lol:

You must now have some very well dresed slugs round your way  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 22:02 »

I'll look out for them (probably not enough material to kit out a millipede!)  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 22:05 »

I'll look out for them (probably not enough material to kit out a millipede!)  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 22:40 »
Hi claireV i think u should use what u have got and start a new heap as was mentioned previously build up in layers of greens and browns and you will also benefit by cutting everything up small it rots down much quicker.As a rule i try to turn my compost heaps once every two weeks just to get some air into them and i also keep them covered with black plastic, add a little bone meal or fresh manure just to activate the heap and your in buisness.

ClaireV

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 16:03 »
Thanks everyone, very useful though I won't be putting my jeans on the compost quite yet  :lol:

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 37 queries.