Chicken's "Personal Hygiene"

• 11 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Chicken's "Personal Hygiene"
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:56 »
Morning,

Our Cotswold Legbar, Mathilda, has an enormous, bald "bottom" (bizarrely labelled "Fluff" on a chicken diagram I just looked at,) that sticks out behind her and underneath her vent. She had some feathers there once but now there are some stubby quills that collect her poo when she goes and it is very difficult to clean. It's like she has a cigar butt sticking out the back of her. I've tried standing her in a tub of warm water but the poo is rock hard and doesn't want to soften with the water.

Are these quills likely to fall out in her next moult and regrow?

Is there a way that I or a vet can trim the feathers to prevent this happening? I know you have to be careful about how short you cut feathers.

Can anyone suggest a sure fire way of removing the existing problem or am I just going to have to bath her for longer.

Thanks

Ben

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicken's "Personal Hygiene"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46 »
One of my hens had a bald bum after her molt, think the others were doing a bit of feather pulling.  It was clean but a bit red so I just used purple spray to cover the red and it seems to have worked.  Feathers are growing back so will re-treat with purple spray again this week.

You might have a problem if her poo is so messy, she could be ill.  Is she roosting or sleeping in the nest box, this can cause messy bum.  Has she been wormed with flubenvet recently as worms can cause runny poos.  Over feeding with greens can have the same effect.  Have a closer look just in case it is mites and not poo as poo should wash off with bathing
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 13:26 »
She roosts on the bars quite happily.

I was struggling to explain the situation adequately in my first post. Possibly a better way to describe it is picturing the chicken as a renault clio with the vent being the rear windscreen and the boot being this chicken's enormous backside. Therefore however she stands, whenever she pops one out it hits the bald patch and these feather stubs. I suppose it could be possible that what I think are quills are in fact small feathers that have got all twisted up into a pooey "dreadlock".

The chooks are due for worming though I've not seen any problem signs. Also as regards mites I'm pretty sure that's not the cause.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 13:27 by Ben_H »

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 13:49 »
the quills are the new feathers emerging.  When I said mites I didn't mean red mites rather the ones that will lay eggs at the base of the feathers and could look like poo, lice.  Sorry but got my crawlie names mixed up.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 14:17 »
If one of my hens gets daggy feathers i just give the encrustation (good word :)) a squeeze twixt finger and thumb and it crumbles away.

You may want to 'marigold up' for this ! :)

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 17:08 »
I've tried that and the poo is solid.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 17:22 »
A pair of pliers will do it , as long as you are squeezing not pulling no harm will come.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 18:03 »
You could try a bit of veg oil dabbed on to try and softed the poo.

Mavis

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 18:08 »
 ??? Please could someone tell me what "purple" is and what I should be using it for.  Also one of the girlies seems to think it is a boy and keeps jumping on the other four at various times and trying to have its wicked way!  Is it o.k. for her to do this or should I be doing something to encourage her to be a bit more feminine?  She is the oldest one of the five and we have had her the longest.  She seems o.k. in herself, just behaving strangely.  Would appreciate any answers.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 19:56 »
??? Please could someone tell me what "purple" is and what I should be using it for.  Also one of the girlies seems to think it is a boy and keeps jumping on the other four at various times and trying to have its wicked way!  Is it o.k. for her to do this or should I be doing something to encourage her to be a bit more feminine?  She is the oldest one of the five and we have had her the longest.  She seems o.k. in herself, just behaving strangely.  Would appreciate any answers.

Purple spray

www.millbryhill.co.uk/equestrian-530/horse-health-grooming-585/first-aid-veterinary-products-611/purple-general-products-30493.htm 

other makes and suppliers are available.

If your hen is not doing any damage to the other hens don't worry about her behaviour.  If she is the top of the pecking order and no cockerel in your flock she is just keeping the girls in their place.  They can attempt to crow as well and I'm sure other more experienced members will give you more advice. 

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 20:15 »
She roosts on the bars quite happily.

I was struggling to explain the situation adequately in my first post. Possibly a better way to describe it is picturing the chicken as a renault clio with the vent being the rear windscreen and the boot being this chicken's enormous backside.

I'll never look at a Renault Clio in the same light again!!!

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:57 »
Have you checked her for lice, they can be hard to spot. The others will pick them off and can cause bare bottoms. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
question
chicken food "alternatives"

Started by andreadon on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2020, 23:34
by grinling
xx
"Hiccupping" Chicken

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 07:37
by joyfull
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 30 queries.