Chickens + snow

• 20 Replies

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
Re: Chickens + snow
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44 »
I was quite amused by mine yesterday morning, they normally come tumbling out when I open the door in the morning, yesterday it was like "here we go, yay...hang on..erm, what is that stuff, no way am I walking on that!" Eventually one or two plucked up the courage to fly over to a snow free perch, where they surveyed things from for a bit. A few hours later the older ones were wandering about OK in it, the younger ones were not so keen.

Thrift

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:16 »
Because our henhouse is a converted farm building it is very spacious and airy. One end is enclosed on 3 sides; this is where they roost and lay but the other end, where they feed and scratch around, is meshed on two sides.

Although it certainly isn't cosy they seem to remain healthy with all that fresh air. We have no snow thankfully so the new girls are out, happily investigating the yard.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21 »
coops tend to concentrate drafts which is where the problem can occur however an all round air flow without obstructions is fine, like what thrift has and what my tree dwellers have
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44 »
Must be better for them on hot summer nights as well, no overheating.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Flossiej

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 17:10 »
Had six inches of snow overnight here on Sunday and even though they are in a covered run, the chickens awoke to three inches of snow covering their run space! Needless to say they were not impressed at their first encounter with the white stuff. They stayed firmly within the coop, popping their heads out every few mins to check things out until their bellies got the better of them and they ventured out. We had cleared as much snow as we could to the side of the run and cleared their raised perches and they seemed to cope ok. They didn't appear to have drunk much over the day but I think they were munching on snow instead. This morning they came out of the coop as normal despite the snow and have been treated to some winter sunshine to brighten their day. We also had a full house on the egg front as well!
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 19:00 »
My coop and run is undercover so stayed snow free. As this was the first snow they had encounted I thought!what would they make of it. Usually when I open the door to the garden its, Banzi baby,Beep-Beep who can be out first.What a strange sight, all lined up in a row like the start of a 100m race and still there when the gun went off.:D

xx
Chickens in the snow!!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 22:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
snow

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 18:05
by Jellyhead
xx
Snow

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 20:09
by evie2
xx
Oh no more snow

Started by Nails on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 09:59
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 38 queries.