potatoes v slugs

• 27 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: potatoes v slugs
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 18:41 »
nematodes were my saviour at the plot. 1st couple of years my spuds were destroyed, until I started using nematodes. Like already said, I find slugs don't touch my Charlottes mind you.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 22:49 »
I am a bit of a newbie to this growing but last year I cut out the plots from a medow gave it all a good digging, put in a load of compost and when the cold weather started gave it a work over with the digging hoe and fed the birds on it ,and every day I put out a bit of bird food on the plots now a quick going over and they come down to feast on what I put down and any stray bugs or slugs . Next door in the commercial orchards they use the same principal in the organic orchards just hang a load of bird feeders in the trees and whilst they are waiting to get on the feeders they clean the trees of any bugs  . Unfortunatly I have seen to many animals die a painfull death from slug pellets as whilst the pellets may not be attractive to eat a dead slug can make a meal for many .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51 »
The slugs that do the worst damage to potatoes actually live in the soil rather than the big fat ugly ones that you see on the surface, so pellets only have a limited use where you need it and there is a risk of poisoning the soil if you add too many. 

An alternate would be to try growing a mustard green manure where you intend to grow potatoes and digging it in 2 weeks before planting potatoes.  Mustard has biofumigation properties - chopping up the vegetation and covering it with soil and plastic sheeting soon after to retain the gasses is supposed to reduce pest levels.  However, remember mustard is a brassica so susceptible to club root (and building up a reservoir if your plot is already infested)  You could add lime to the bed as a preventative, but then some potato varieties grown in the plot soon after will readily form scabs (doesn't affect the potato's eating qualities but the skin looks unpleasant and may reduce the potato's storage qualities too)  I think growing slug resistant varieties are really the way to go.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 09:07 »
I also put pellets in the ground when planting the potatoes

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 09:16 »
You and me both.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

m1ckz

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41 »
DD do you mean you actuall dig in the pellets around the potatoes,ill try thay

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28 »
When planting my spuds, I dig a trench, throw in the horse muck, handful of slug pellets, put a bit of soil on top of that then stick in the spuds.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 10:37 »
ditto

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 11:41 »
Sounds like a good Idea I'll give that a go .Thanks guys

rw3272

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 13:52 »
We had an awfull problem in the maincrops (mayan gold and Cara).  I had grown cara for bakers, dug them up late sept, lovely big spuds but riddled with large channels with slugs sleeping inside.  Managed to salvage some for frozen mash but very few storable.  We had a very wet september after a dry summer.  The red duke of yorks, kestrel and anyas were perfect, but were harvested in the dry spell. 

Rachael

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 19:47 »
after you have planted the row sprinkle chimney soot along the row before you cover them up again.i think i had 3 or 4 damaged tubers last year from 12 rows of potatoes.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 08:21 »
after you have planted the row sprinkle chimney soot along the row before you cover them up again.i think i had 3 or 4 damaged tubers last year from 12 rows of potatoes.

Which variety(ies) did you grow, Rampant?

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 16:41 »
lady christl,nadine and sarpo axona, its the soot that keeps the slugs at bay tho, ive grown the first 2 b4 and some were riddled with them.

xx
slugs in potatoes

Started by SimonH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 21:49
by Salmo
xx
slugs in potatoes

Started by shankers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 17:06
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Potatoes and slugs

Started by SimonH on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 15:10
by mumofstig
xx
Slugs in potatoes

Started by rsindigo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 19:52
by Nogger

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 36 queries.