Pebble chicken run with photo!

• 10 Replies

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Pebble chicken run with photo!
« on: February 03, 2012, 17:23 »
Have read some posts regarding pebbled runs... Just wanted to share this photo... It's the site I'm planning to use for my chicken run. Measures approx three metres by five metres, average pebble size 2-3cm across. Keep reading different things about pebbled runs, some say harsh on chicken feet, others suggest improved drainage and keeps chickens busy scratching about for treats. I'm planning on letting the girls out in the rest of the garden too but what is the general idea...? that pebbles are good or bad? Any feedback welcome.

Andy

x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

Geo

• Experienced Member
Re: Pebble chicken run with photo!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 18:54 »
I made a 5mx2m walk in run and put it on grass and they destroyed the grass.
The run now has course sand and the hens seem happy enough. When we are at home they are allowed out and they make for an area with red chips. they are quite happy moving the chips looking for spiders,slaters, beetles anything that moves.The chips in the run would be ok but I would maybe add a sand pit or dirt bath for them

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 18:56 »
If your chooks are anything like my 2 fat ladies then that will be a mess in a nano second  ::)  I only have pebbles bordering the paving in the garden and they make a bee-line for it and kick it about like it's a good game :)  Needless to say there are more pebbles on the path than where they should be - but that is the joy of having chickens lol They keep you busy  ;)
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 20:02 »
hi andy
i am building my chicken run on the pebbles as well.i dont think it is a problem really.when i finish the run i ll put some wood chip in it.and on the  corner of run i ll put sand pit for bath.
i think its much better than grass area.its easy to clean
please share the photos with us when you finish the run:)
good luck

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 20:17 »
 :)Hi Andy,give it a go and see!!!!..you can always change it around.Just make sure your hens have somewhere to dust bath,and you have a good rake..

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25 »
pebles in its self are not a problem its just the poop picking you may find that it will get smelly  :tongue2: but other than that i dont see a problem, you'l need to provide an aria where chucks can dust bath to help their fethers and for them to get rid of pesky bllod suckers, good look with it and keep us informed  :D
Chicken crazy

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15 »
i agree with tony h.

when it rains, the poo will seep into the soil beneath but there will always be a smell. this will be worse in wet weather but also might be a problem in the summer when its dry and wafts through the air.

we have a pebbled area outside the run but still in their area, for our girls which they love to scratch around in and dust in but they make a right mess and we have to rake it back.

we used 2nd hand slabs (cost us £15 for 22 3x4 foot and 10 of 2x3) and have never had a problem....you can use a shovel to scrape up the poo and then hose down with the pipe. no mud, less pong and mr fox has failed to get in every time since we did it.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 16:15 »
Brilliant thank you for the comments guys... Hmm now I'm thinking I'll rake away some pebbles leaving half pebbles half earth or slab... Will let you know how I get on :)

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 17:58 »
Good Luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:04 »
There are topical treatments that could be used. Sorry I cannot think of their names at the moment. Oh one is Stalosan F :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 12:36 »
That looks great. Agree with Carolf - they will fling it everywhere (but you can sweep back). We've had something similar for over a year and no smells, but it is well drained so no anaerobic pools under the pebbles.

xx
pebble dash poos

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 19:28
by karlooben
xx
disfigured chicken. finally a photo

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 09:20
by upthetump
xx
How do I add Photo's ??

Started by Vember on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 12:47
by Vember
xx
Photo's hopefully

Started by PJM on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 11:57
by PJM

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.