Manure Question

• 8 Replies

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
Manure Question
« on: February 03, 2012, 14:50 »
Last weekend we took on our first allotment *excited*, and with it came two compost piles made out of pallets.  The compost in them is very new looking and probably a good year away from being usable.

However I have access to a pile of well rotted horse manure.  The pile is at least 4 years old, and last night I went and filled 10 rubble sacks with it to take up the allotment.

The manure although well rotted is wet.  You could dig a square out of the pile with your spade.  It is full of worms, and looks great.

Is there anything I need to do to dry the manure out at all, or do I just use it as it is?

Thanks again
Matt
Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

gobs

Re: Manure Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 15:59 »
You can, but in most places one can't dig it in now. Mulching with it is only worth where you do not need the ground early on in the season, for it delays drying out.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 16:05 »
Thanks for the reply Gobs

Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve the ground quality for this years growing season?

gobs

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 16:11 »
Manure is my favourite suggestion, you just need to be paitent for a while yet. Not everything does need it of course. For less hungry plant areas you can use compost or leaf mulch/compost if the soil looks bad.

What is your soil like?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 16:30 »
To follow Gobs' comment, spread the manure (it'll be sticky but can be managed) wherever you feel it needs it. If you have any compost, spread it everywhere as thickly as you can.

Come spring, if you have access to horse Alfalfa cubes (not sure if you get them in the UK), put a bunch in a barrel with water, leave until mushy, and spread over the growing areas. When weather allows, work it in by your chosen manner (rotovate, spade, fork, no dig)

The key to good soil is tilth which comes from all the above, as well as feeding the soil with nutrients like blood, fish & bonemeal (BFB), kelp meal, etc. It takes quite a few years to build up poor/mediocre soil to good state, so patience must also be cultivated.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 19:48 »
Ohhh trillium that's a great idea with the Alfalfa cubes- bit like using green manure to bulk it up but with out having to grow the stuff!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 20:00 »
Glad you like the idea, Nicki. I've been adding alfalfa pellets to all my flower and veg planting holes for several years and with mychorrizal bacteria on the roots, it's made a whopping difference in plant health.

A gardening pal in California suggested I do the cube mush for spreading over the entire garden rather than alfalfa hay which can drop seeds and spread problems as well as benefits. Since I don't have space to leave for green manure growth, and my winters come early and severe, this will be a good alternative to green manure.

I can buy the cubes quite cheaply in 50 lb bags and I have a large blue barrel without a lid that's perfect for the mushing job.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 20:22 »
Sounds good indeed. I haven't heard of them, a quick google brings them up as animal feed.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 20:46 »
That's exactly what it is, mostly for horses. But it's a 'secret' ingredient for gardeners too. ;)

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
to manure or not to manure that is the question?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 14:54
by JimB
xx
manure question

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 08:09
by goodtogrow
xx
Manure question

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 22:42
by allot2learn

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 35 queries.