Watering potatoes

• 14 Replies

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
Watering potatoes
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:11 »
The best thing about my allotment is that its 400 yards from my front door. The worst thing is that there is no water on it. As the soil is sandy this causes problems when we get a prolonged dry spell like last year.

So I have been digging in copious amounts of well rotted horse manure to improve the soil structure - yes I did test it for aminopropylid ( not sure if thats the correct name?)

The question I have is does anyone have any good ideas for how to keep potatoes watered. As they are earthed up watering the mound simply wets the top few inches of the soil - nowhere near the roots. Watering in the valleys between is very wasteful on water if you are having to carry it 400 yards.

So how do I target the water in the right place?

Regards, WG  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Watering potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:17 »
I would suggest using a watering can with no rose and targeting the water to the base of the stems, which is the nearest you'll get to the tubers underneath and should enable you (to some extent) to avoid wetting the leaves, which wastes water as well as potentially encouraging blight.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:19 »
For my squash plants I sink an empty plastic bottle upside down with the bottom cut out and a small hole in the top to target watering. Works a treat! You might also want to think about water retention methods to reduce evaporation e.g. plastic sheeting; layer of leaf mulch.  :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:07 »
For my squash plants I sink an empty plastic bottle upside down with the bottom cut out and a small hole in the top to target watering. Works a treat! You might also want to think about water retention methods to reduce evaporation e.g. plastic sheeting; layer of leaf mulch.  :)

Makes a lot of sense to conserve the water if it is sandy soil - I'm more or less repeating, but try lining the trench with something like newspaper and compost (maybe some vermicullite?) and give it a thorough watering before you plant the seed potatoes, then ensure good mulching on the soil surface to reduce evaporation. 

As for watering - I have those spike caps that you can screw on to a 2L bottle and push into the soil so that the water is released under the top layer.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31 »
Ridge planted crops are watered in the valleys though. It's gonna run down anyway.

I understand, you have sand, however, potatoes are seldom watered. A lot of work this sounds. Have you tried mulching them after periods of prolonged rain?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37 »
we had to water on our sandy soil last year, those that didn't had hardly any to harvest, it was that bad :(
We had no rain for months so the mulching option wasn't an option either...it's abig problem on sand!
.....but all the manure you've added Weston grower should help a lot :)

gobs

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:22 »
we had to water on our sandy soil last year, those that didn't had hardly any to harvest, it was that bad :(
We had no rain for months so the mulching option wasn't an option either...it's abig problem on sand!
.....but all the manure you've added Weston grower should help a lot :)

I'm sad to hear that. I must admit, all my potatoes are on the dry side this year...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50 »
as it is so close to home could you not use a camping water barrel such as an aquaroll - some of 40 litres?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 13:23 »
as it is so close to home could you not use a camping water barrel such as an aquaroll - some of 40 litres?

Or one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planit-Products-Litre-Carrier-H2CDU12/dp/B0027U95UW

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 13:31 »
That looks handy!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 13:40 »
Oh yes, we've just started selling those at work. I thought about you allotmenteers (and builders) when I saw them. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

gobs

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 13:53 »

Or one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planit-Products-Litre-Carrier-H2CDU12/dp/B0027U95UW

:lol: :lol: I was thinking, couldn't Weston use  a hose at such a distance from, but there is a gismo for everyhting.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 16:33 »
That thing would be very handy in a barrel, filled with water, then toted to each plant.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06 »
Thanks all, some good ideas there. Think I'll give the H2go a go. Cheers, WG  :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 09:19 »
I don't water anything on my plot, other than seed drills before sowing, and newly transplanted plants for 2-3 days until they have settled in. I make sure that the ground has well rotted manure dug in, and mulches applied where possible.

I too have sandy soil, and when I first took over my plot things didn't do terribly well due to the poor soil structure. Now 3 years later its much better. My spuds last season did incredibly well 2 spuds being large enough to feed 5 of us for a meal. In fact many were too large for baking unless we shared!!

In short feed the ground, making sure you do everything you can to help it retain moisture as others have said. try to keep watering to a minimum otherwise the plants rely on you rather than go looking themselves.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Watering potatoes

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 21:46
by Dan78
question
Watering potatoes

Started by Islandman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 15:12
by Goosegirl
xx
Probably a bit late now BUT watering potatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 17:40
by Ivor Backache
xx
WATERING POTATOES??? when should I water ?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 23:16
by Terrier

Page created in 0.796 seconds with 38 queries.