Where to plant what?

• 22 Replies

tadpole

• Experienced Member
Where to plant what?
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:00 »
Ok, I’ve been reading around this forum and I’m more confused than I was when I started; this was my plan for my mini plot
 Terrace one plant Borlotto beans, Bus shelter style (munty frame), depending on where the roots of the nearest tree are (apple tree old variety).  

Terrace two I’m planning on planting Italian sweet long peppers (corno di toro rosso) and hot chilli peppers, I’m not sure what kind as I was given them last year and whilst I grew enough to make three litres of Pickled peppers, I’ve put the packet the seeds came in away somewhere tidy)

Terrace three, Gartenperle  Tomatoes  

Terrace four, beetroot Detroit red (after reading good reviews on here)

Terrace five, will be Mesclun mix  lettuce  and shallots (red sun)
Now the reason for my confusion is, I’ve read online that beans and peppers should not be planted near each other as they inhibit each other’s growth, same with beetroots and tomatoes.
Will I be ok with my planting plan? Should I grow herbs in-between the rows to help protect against insects and slugs. I’ve only got 100 square foot of space that slopes (terrace 1  is the top, and is about 5ft higher than terrace 5
any help?

Edit to add,  This weekend I plan to dig in for the whole plot
2 wheelbarrow loads of two year old rotted leaf mould, and half a hand full of fish,blood,  and bone meal, is that to much, should I leave one or the other for a while?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:27 by tadpole »
small scale gardener, large scale eater

compostqueen

Re: Where to plant what?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48 »
No need to be confused if you don't take on too many tasks at once. Break jobs down a bit to save getting fraught. 

I would read Joy Larkcom's veg growing handbook available from the library. It's fantastic and all will become clear about what to grow where  :)

If you only have a mini plot then you could swot up on "square foot gardening" and use their planting information. They suggest veg varieties which are best for small spaces and even tell you the number to plant and where

It's obvious not to plant huge sweetcorn where it will put your low growing veg in the shade.  Companion gardening might be something you could read up on as well. 

You are supposed to enjoy yourself when growing your own so so stop worrying  :)

Insects and slugs will arrive, no doubt about that.  You will have to pick the slugs off by hand if you don't like slug pellets

gobs

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 16:21 »
I haven't heard about these ones Tadpole. Even if it were so, a separate bed next to each other could be separated enough. These guys require different nutrition, just for that reason would not well work in the same bed, interplanted.

On your location the bean frame should provide a valuable wind break for the peppers, once plants on it are mature, just make sure it does not shade them too much.

Don't do this feeding routine all over, not all need it, depending on your soil of course.

It is always a good idea to mingle in some herbs here and there, especially, if you like and use them.

Lettuce and onions definately work well together, even interplanted, both will appreciate some nutrition.

You probably can put in another, larger fruited tomato in that bed. Yes, I know the size of your garden ;), but a couple of these can produce a lot of fruit, you might as well grow something faster in the kitchen, if you want to.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 17:05 »
Thank you gobs that is good to hear.  I might take my father-in-law up on his offer of moneymaker tom' plant or two then.
another question, just to keep this thread going a bit longer
I bought some blood fish and bonemeal of the Bay, and it looks like there are crystals of salt in it, or it could be small bits of crushed rock, is this normal, or have I been sold a bag of sand/grit, with a small amount of gray stuff added. (the stuff in the bag is not as smelly as I thought it would be, there is just a hint of a smell.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 17:18 »
No, they are not smelly much, the crystals I have no idea about. I cannot even recall what the stuff looks like. Dog like, me. :lol:

Someone else will have opinions, I'm sure. :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 17:23 »
Try stirring a teaspoonfull of it into a glass of hot water - not all salts are soluble but most are to varying degrees - if it dissolves you can probably tell yourself it's crystallized nutrients in the mixture, if it sinks straight to the bottom and still looks like sand it probably is!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 17:51 »
Try stirring a teaspoonfull of it into a glass of hot water - not all salts are soluble but most are to varying degrees - if it dissolves you can probably tell yourself it's crystallized nutrients in the mixture, if it sinks straight to the bottom and still looks like sand it probably is!
Well remind me not to do that in an office again :)  the smell came back a hundred fold, the salt like stuff floated and then vanished the other chunky bits turned out to be bone, and the whole thing turned black grey. only about a quarter was left after the hot water had done its work. Mostly bone bits and unknown bits of what looks like blood(clots)
mostly I'd say it's BFB.
thank you

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 18:11 »
Well remind me not to do that in an office again :)  the smell came back a hundred fold, the salt like stuff floated and then vanished the other chunky bits turned out to be bone, and the whole thing turned black grey. only about a quarter was left after the hot water had done its work. Mostly bone bits and unknown bits of what looks like blood(clots)
mostly I'd say it's BFB.
thank you

Could have been worse (you could have mistaken it for a cup of horlicks!)  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 18:12 »
oooooyuck  :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 20:46 »
The only plant I've heard of which doesn't go well with beans, is onions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gobs

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:06 »
The only plant I've heard of which doesn't go well with beans, is onions.

soso. x2

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 14:17 »
I’ve asked this in my Diary, but as no one has replied  :ohmy: I’ll ask it here. What can I/should I  plant  that will grow reasonably well, in lumpy soil that has had nothing in the way of Mulch or muck for many a year, and was until yesterday afternoon covered in Grass and weeds (some dandylion roots that I dug out were three foot long). I have been given an extra bit to my mini-plot (an extra 4.21sqm) the top soil is dark black but a spade down and it is striped with bands of heavy clay
I’ve ordered some seeds
Radishes (red and white icicle varieties)
Mini carrots (only grow to 4 inches long)
Spinach
Courgettes
And something I read about on this site landcress.
IS there any real reason I cannot plant the above or even radishes and Purple sprouting Broccoli?
I’ve chosen them only because I like to eat all of them, (apart from the Cress which I love the water cress type and hope that they are similar)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 14:38 »
as long as you can get the fork in to loosen the clay a bit there's no reason not to grow in it :)
Clay is actually very fertile soil, although it does of course improve with cultivation ;) Rake some FB&B fertiliser into the top soil

For the radishes I'd draw a sowing line with the hoe and fill it with compost to sow the small seeds into, as they may struggle with big lumps. Courgettes you can sow in pots and plant when they are a bit bigger, no problem.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 19:44 »
Another option in the lumpy soil would be potatoes --- first early varieties grow quickly and usually have smaller foliage.

Purple sprouting broccoli would grow well in clay soil (mine does  ;) ). It might be better to sow the seed in modules and plant out when larger. The plants do get pretty big though so make sure you have enough space.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51 »
My plot is clay.  I start 90% of my plants off in modules and plant out when they have a fighting chance with the clay and slugs.  If I do plant seed, as already suggested, I fill the drill with a little compost and plant in this, then cover in compost.  I also add as much mulching material as possible to it, using the lasagne method on at least one bed per year to gradually change the quality of the  soil.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
clip
Name the plant

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 19:27
by Benny130
xx
what to plant where???

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2016, 21:00
by rookie1

Page created in 0.752 seconds with 38 queries.