I've just had a lightbulb moment!

• 31 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
I've just had a lightbulb moment!
« on: January 30, 2012, 14:28 »
I've just spent a very pleasant afternoon in my nice warm greenhouse on a sunny winter's day pricking out 200 onion seedlings into individual modules.  The cost of the packet of seeds was 98p.  So I've got 200 onions for the princely sum of less than 0.5p each!!

I spent £1.05 on a bag of 10 onions from Tesco on Saturday.  Now my maths isn't great, but surely that makes my 200 onions bloomin' good value!! :D

Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the converted, but this is my first full growing season and I had to share it!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
Re: I've just had a lightbulb moment!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 14:43 »
This will be my first full season as well and I had a similar sort of 'smug' moment yesterday on the phone when I was talking about sowing winter gem lettuce seeds and my Mum was complaining about how expensive the little gems are in the supermarkets :tongue2:

I've only ordered seeds for things we will eat and I think it gets really noticeable when you look at the price of things like peppers and tomatoes  :ohmy:

It's a no brainer really .... and it's fun  :D

maxyboo

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 14:45 »
It's brilliant isn't it! I harvested my onions last Autumn and we are still enjoying them. I don't know if the joy of growing your own wears off at all but I certainly hope not :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 15:36 »
Great feeling growing your own veg and seeing the prices in the shops and realizing you are saving a fortune...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 16:12 »
I'm now really looking forward to seeing how many rows of salad leaves I will get from one 79p seed packet, bearing in mind I pay £1 or more every week for one pathetic bag of mixed leaves!

Oooh, and cherry tomatoes!!... and broccoli!!.. and... and.....

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 16:37 »
I've just been given about 20 packs of seed - mostly different brassicas, as well as some courgette, beetroot and carrots.

So that's even better VFM!

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 16:49 »
................. and it all tastes so much better too.  :)

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 17:01 »
................. and it all tastes so much better too.  :)

It does... and I can get my green-phobic hubby to eat more veg when I tell him that it's something I've grown ;)

I think he feels he's being supportive when he eats it and will admit it tastes better .... just don't tell him that I put chopped spinach in things and tell him it's basil  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 17:17 »
This year I'm determined to do better with brassicas, leeks and root veg. Yesterday I paid 75p for a single leek  :ohmy:

Pity there's no realistic way to keep tomatoes and cucumbers going through the winter, because no matter how much passata you make or tomatoes you freeze, you'll still need fresh ones to go with a salad.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 19:20 »
It's brilliant isn't it! I harvested my onions last Autumn and we are still enjoying them. I don't know if the joy of growing your own wears off at all but I certainly hope not :)
No it doesn't well not with me anyway,I've been growing veg for nearly 30 years & still get excited about it each year :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gobs

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 20:54 »
I've just spent a very pleasant afternoon in my nice warm greenhouse on a sunny winter's day pricking out 200 onion seedlings into individual modules.  The cost of the packet of seeds was 98p.  So I've got 200 onions for the princely sum of less than 0.5p each!!

I spent £1.05 on a bag of 10 onions from Tesco on Saturday.  Now my maths isn't great, but surely that makes my 200 onions bloomin' good value!! :D

Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the converted, but this is my first full growing season and I had to share it!

Of course it does. Him indoors, had to go shopping to some place, when I got unwell some 2 years ago. Came back with in a franzy: I have never even been near to vegetable isles for years! The money they ask for three sad looking organic carrots! I thought I might faint.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 04:54 »
After I got made redundant several years ago and had to take up a much lower paid job (then there was the credit crunch & recession that followed), I took up growing my own specifically to save money.  Now I know there is a frugal way of starting off but to get seriously into it I had to make some initial investments (tools, greenhouses, fruit trees and bushes) as well as the consumables such as compost, manure, plot rent etc.  At first it just looked like a very expensive hobby and I started to wonder if it was worth it in the end, especially when the weather is poor and some crops failed or when blight hit.

Then I walk down the fruit and veg aisles in the supermarket and it is a jaw dropping experience  :ohmy: - how much for runner beans, sweetcorn, courgettes and I can't believe a lettuce costs that much to grow?!  It is definitely a sobering experience and reminds me that growing my own has definitely paid off in the long run.

Pity there's no realistic way to keep tomatoes and cucumbers going through the winter, because no matter how much passata you make or tomatoes you freeze, you'll still need fresh ones to go with a salad.

From a frugal point of view, I would consider the sacrifice of a few fresh salad veg worth it and much prefer to get into seasonal cropping instead.  Besides, when these are ready they are much more appreciated  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:51 »
and the price of the baby veg (tiny caulis, romanesco, leeks, carrots etc.) in the supermarkets makes your eyes water when you can just pick your own  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 08:59 »
and the price of the baby veg (tiny caulis, romanesco, leeks, carrots etc.) in the supermarkets makes your eyes water when you can just pick your own  :D

and time from plot to plate is so short too ---- no foodmiles to worry about there  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Thrift

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 09:06 »
The taste is so superior. How do they get carrots and beans etc. to  be so tasteless!

As sunny says it's marvellous to pick and cook, sometimes within minutes. I think we're all well and truly hooked.  :)

xx
I've had an eureka moment!

Started by weeeed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 12:01
by weeeed
xx
Proud moment

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 20:51
by Lee1978
xx
I don't believe it, Victor Meldrew moment

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 21:58
by Ian_A
xx
Heart stopping moment

Started by Tugster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 18:50
by WhippetMaster

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 36 queries.