Samphire

• 23 Replies

lacewing

Samphire
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:37 »
Has anyone tried growing Samphire?  I put some seeds in moduls last September, the seedlings are up but I'm not sure what to do next. :unsure:
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Samphire
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:39 »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44 »
What does the seed packet advise? :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10 »
Good growing guide here.

I often see it growing by the coast and wonder what it tastes like.

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/vegetable_plants/samphire_plant/

gobs

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:07 »
Salty.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17 »
Good growing guide here.

I often see it growing by the coast and wonder what it tastes like.

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/vegetable_plants/samphire_plant/
There are two types, Marsh samphire, and Rock samphire,  the marsh samphire is the more woody of the two, and it's best to only eat the top inch or so of the plant, it's a delicate salty chlorophyll taste sort of like asparagus tips.
Rock samphire  can have a unpleasant hit of diesel fuel to it, if picked at the wrong time, but more often than not it is sweeter than Marsh samphire. Freshly picked and Lightly boiled with a small knob of butter or (my favourite way,  is to cook it, and then add to the fat (not the white gunge you get from cheap stuff left over from cheap stuff)  frying bacon.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

gobs

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32 »
I've only ever seen rock samphire seeds for sale.

Are you growing them Tadpole or just foraging?

lacewing

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:38 »
Thanks for the links, good information there. I got the seeds from a fellow plot holder who has now moved on. Not even sure whether it is rock or march Samphire.  It will be intresting to see how the plants progress,  must remember to water with salt water. :)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 14:02 »

Foraging, they are so abundant near here that to grow them would be a waste of time.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 14:05 »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm one of my favourite veggies, along with psb.

We used to be able to get it locally gathered, and bought loads while it was in season. But last year the local farm shop stopped stocking it as they couldn't sell enough. :(

I'd never buy it, but Asda have it from Egypt. :ohmy:

Might try growing some.

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 20:33 »
It grows plentifully on the marshes round here but I rarely bother gathering it. If I want something that tastes like salty cabbage I'll just put more salt on my cabbage.

A lot of these 'gourmet' foods are just an excuse for ripping people off. It's useful to know what wild plants are edible but there really isn't much point in trying to grow them when you can have a plot full of 'proper' vegetables.

Of course, when society breaks down, supermarkets have all been looted and you're stuck on a salt marsh it might be handy to know what samphire actually looks like.

gobs

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 20:47 »

Foraging, they are so abundant near here that to grow them would be a waste of time.

:lol: :lol: Good point.

Just was interested, how really easy it was to grow out of sea environment, because all say it was, just noon have any plants though. :)

Fisherman

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 20:57 »
It grows plentifully on the marshes round here but I rarely bother gathering it. If I want something that tastes like salty cabbage I'll just put more salt on my cabbage.

A lot of these 'gourmet' foods are just an excuse for ripping people off. It's useful to know what wild plants are edible but there really isn't much point in trying to grow them when you can have a plot full of 'proper' vegetables.

Of course, when society breaks down, supermarkets have all been looted and you're stuck on a salt marsh it might be handy to know what samphire actually looks like.

Well Solway Cropper I think that is a bit rash. I like nothing better than a bit of local samphire either freshly cooked as a vegetable or pickled in malt vinegar. Only problem is that its only in abundance in July / August on our local salt marshes. When its not available its back to salty cabbage and brussels sprouts, delicious ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 21:04 »

Hmmmm, our N Wales samphire tastes nothing like cabbage. It grows prolifically around here too, but I have limited mobility so leave the collecting to those who need to earn a few quid. It is not considered a gourmet food around here and when you can find it is cheap enough. I love the texture of lightly steamed samphire with butter and lemon, or with pasta, or in a salad, or a frittata............

Unfortunately we don't all have a plot for growing veggies, and will not be able to get one as long as we live here, so we grow what we can in our little garden and in pots on the drive and patio. So we grow what we really like and has a higher value.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 21:32 »
I'm in the yes camp here. We have a fish man who comes from Grimsby & I positively drool when the Samphire is on his waggon. I love it lightly steamed with a knob of butter.Life doesn't get much better on those days. :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Samphire?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:08
by noshed
xx
Samphire growing

Started by ROYAL=BD= on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2015, 22:09
by New shoot

Page created in 2.418 seconds with 38 queries.