Seed Varieties

• 3 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Seed Varieties
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:44 »
As a novice, is there any advice when looking at and picking seed varieties?

I was going to try to get all of them ordered online this weekend, and I have been googling on various websites during the week to see where would be cheap/good, but am a little bamboozled by all the varieties of the same vegetable!  For instance I never knew there were so many pea varieties! 

I don't really know where to start, so any advice would be welcome.

(And as last question that is not related, but I don't want to start yet another topic this morning:  I never planted my onion/garlic sets in autumn as I didn't finalise my allotment plan.  Now I think I have organised it can I plant them now, or would I be better to wait until Spring proper?  I'm in Nottingham, and it has been very mild, and the ground on my patch is very soft.)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed Varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:49 »
Several different criteria - ask around on your lotty site to see what people recommend; the Award of Garden Merit (AGM) indicates that the RHS is happy that the variety is pretty reliable around the UK; try new varieties if you want to experiment; if you know that certain diseases are present then look for that resistance; look at height and spacing; consider different varieties which mature at different rates so you reduce the risk of glut.

Other than that, personal preference!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03 »

I agree with Yorky, nothing better than personal recomendations.    Take the write up on the packets with a BIG pinch of salt.      ::)      Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35 »
I would go on-line to a supplier like DT Browns, Marshalls Seed, Moles seeds and see what you fancy growing. In my opinion you are better sowing seeds a little later rather than early as you are likely to get better germination and most importantly only sow when the conditions are right. Cold wet weather is usually disastrous. Also have a think about crop protection as some varieties can be attacked by bugs i.e. carrots, brassica crops etc. Again read up or search this site as there is loads of information and guidance available. Some steady reliable crops: -

March / April Sowing
Early potatoes, onion sets, shallots, broad beans, various spring / summer cabbage, carrots, peas, beetroot, parsnips (can be a bit fickle to germinate) etc.

May / June sowing
Runner beans, french beans, Courgettes, swede + some of the above sown in succession.

Then there's salad crops and herbs that can be sown throughout the season.

Garlic varieties like solent wight can be sown now and for at least another month. Onion sets are better sown in March / April when the conditions are good.

xx
Best Choice of Seed Varieties

Started by Ray on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 07:26
by DD.
xx
Seed varieties for next year

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 19:42
by BabbyAnn
xx
Seed potato varieties

Started by Mosslane on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 11:49
by Mosslane
xx
Club Root Resistant Seed Varieties

Started by ryetek on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 10:03
by ryetek

Page created in 0.867 seconds with 36 queries.