help chicken very blooming

• 7 Replies

prettychick

help chicken very blooming
« on: January 27, 2012, 15:47 »
hi everyone. need help quickly please, just noticed one of my hens has blood all around her bottom, her feathers are missing too and the two other hens wont leave her alone, so i have split them up but dont know what to do next. As far as i can see it looks like they have done this to her but now my hubbie is home we are going to investigate more 

kegs

Re: help chicken very blooming
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 16:04 »
Is her vent ok?  Has she had a prolapse or have the other chickens been pecking at her?  Gently wash her rear end so you can see what is going on.  If the others have pecked her you will need to disguise it with some purple spray (hope you've got some - if not you may be able to get it from an animal feed supply shop if there's one near you).  Good luck and keep us informed.

prettychick

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 19:09 »
thankyou very much for your reply, i did gently wash her and there was no sign of a prolapse, the other two had done the damage i think, she now has a purple bottom and not long after that they went to bed, but i'm worried it will all start up again tomorrow in which case dont know what we can do. I have been told that now she has purple bottom they should leave her alone as it isn't red anymore. Hope so!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 19:25 »
Purple should disguise the red colour,  which is what the chickens peck at.   Good luck and keep us posted.
 :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 19:33 »
if she starts bleeding again then sprinkle wound powder on her (if you don't have any to hand then cornflour will do in an emergency but wound powder is medicated). She may have laid a shell-less egg and if it broke on the way out the other hens would have started to peck at it then got carried away.
Staffies are softer than you think.

prettychick

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 19:58 »
thankyou for replies i will let you know how she is tomorrow

prettychick

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:52 »
hi, she is hiding herself away in the nest box today although she has been out for aome food. i now wonder if she is egg bound and if so what can i do?

kegs

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 16:26 »
Letting her sit in a bath of warm water for a while may help.  You could also try putting some petroleum jelly on her vent which might help her pass the egg (or shell).  Make sure she is thoroughly dry though and you can use a hair dryer on just the warm wetting (not hot).

xx
blooming Poo!!--- should read blood in Poo!!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:44
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
new chicken run

Started by Chrysalis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 22:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
ill chicken

Started by gills_chickens on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 14:48
by Vember

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 37 queries.