• 9 Replies

feathered friends

« on: January 24, 2012, 16:12 »
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of getting ready for three ex battery hens.  My garden is mainly covered in gravel, but I do have three large flower beds (I know they won't have flowers for much longer!), and I intend to remove some of the gravel so I can place my Eglu directly onto the soil underneath.  I'm a bit confused as to what to put in the run.  After reading various information, I decided to use either bark,  play sand or hay.  I have been told by colleagues who keep chickens, that none of these are a good idea, as the bark can become mouldy when wet, and the chickens may try and eat the sand or hay and become unwell.  I'm really not sure what to do for the best.

Any help would be appreciated.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 17:16 »
Hi feathered friends and welcome.  I have my coop with attached run on paving slabs for security against predators.  It is easy to clean with a tile scraper and a quick hose down.  They are locked in on a night and let out in a bigger enclosure which was grass last year but is mud at the moment.  I did put some hemcore in their run last week to keep their feet cleaner but they seemed to be eating it so I took what I could back up.  Silly hens!   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 18:43 »
welcome to the site
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 19:15 »
welcome  :D

I'm sure some of our more experienced bods will be able to advise you about what to put in the run.  In my experience I let them roam on grass using an electric net to surround the area.  I can then move this around and let the grass grow back.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

feathered friends

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44 »
Thanks all, my husband did suggest slabs, so I may go down that route.  I will let you know how I get on.  Can't wait for our new family members to arrive, unfortunately we have to wait for another month before the ex batts are ready for collection.  But at least it gives me plenty of time to make sure everthing is in place.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 14:25 »
Hopefully the weather will be better for the hens in a months time.  Make sure you have a sheltered area for them during the day.  Before I got mine I thought they would shelter in the coop during the day but they don't.  They stay in the attached run or under a table in their extended enclosure.  They need shelter from the wind as well as the rain so something with sides and a roof will be ideal.  I have used large plastic rectangular container laid on its side when the weather was really bad.  Just put a bag of compost on the top to stop it blowing away.

Keep us updated and we love to see photos.   :D

feathered friends

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 16:05 »
I have invested in a cover.  I read that ex batts tend to sit in the rain instead of taking shelter.  Bless, I guess it's because their not used to getting wet.  They can also be a bit on the bald side, I'm just hoping we don't get a real cold snape, I'd hate to lose one of them.  Although I will make sure they have plenty of bedding in their house.

Another thing I was concerened about was if there were any plants that would be poisonous to them.  Are you aware of any?

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 16:17 »
There are quite a few, here is an online list but there may be more.

www.poultryhelp.com/toxic2.html  (the common names are in brackets)

People do say that they know not to eat what is bad for them but mine will eat ivy and elderberries given half a chance.   ::)

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 13:39 »
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of getting ready for three ex battery hens.  My garden is mainly covered in gravel, but I do have three large flower beds (I know they won't have flowers for much longer!), and I intend to remove some of the gravel so I can place my Eglu directly onto the soil underneath.  I'm a bit confused as to what to put in the run.  After reading various information, I decided to use either bark,  play sand or hay.  I have been told by colleagues who keep chickens, that none of these are a good idea, as the bark can become mouldy when wet, and the chickens may try and eat the sand or hay and become unwell.  I'm really not sure what to do for the best.

Any help would be appreciated.

welcome to the site

Bark is a definite no-no as it harbours spores which can cause respiratory infections - this advice was recvd from a chicken vet on a hen-keeping course. Hay is food so not good for on the floor, also as it is long it can cause a blockage in their crops, I would not use it. Good luck :) :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

feathered friends

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 14:12 »
Thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated.  I dare say I will be back at some point with another question.

I intend to take some before and after pictures of my ex bats.  When I discover who to upload pictures  I will put them on.

Bye for now.

xx
New member and first egg!!

Started by Gloria on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 22:20
by Aunt Sally
xx

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 18:44
by Vember
xx

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 13:21
by Zak the Rabbit
xx

Started by dakota on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 21:05
by Foxy

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.