Chicken holding her head and neck in an S shape. Whatever can it be?

• 5 Replies

maggiemc

I have had my chickens for 4 months, and we have settled into our little routine, ie they totally dominate my life ::).But today one of my ex batt ladies is holding her head & neck in a sort of S shape. She is running about and is interested in food, but she appears to stagger every couple of steps. I have felt her crop and it is not full. I am now wondering what else it can be, and what to do. I feel so helpless. Would appreciate any thoughts or  advice. Thanks

compostqueen

Please take time to read the stickies on here about poultry ailments as I'm sure your hen's conditions will be explained and the remedies available, or not

Casey76

When you say S shape, do you mean vertically, so she is pulling her head back more toward her body, or horizontally  so that she is holding her head at an angle?

For clarification :)

maggiemc

She is sort of holding it to one side, then sort of moving sideways in a type of swoopping movement. Her whole body sort of follows through. I am wondering about sour crop, not that her crop appears to be full. I cannot find a list of symptoms to check.

Casey76

If you can get hold of her, gently open her beak and have a sniff.

Chickens can pull off all kinds of contortions when thery are moving food from their crop to the gizzard; but if this has been going on for some time, it may be that she has a slight impaction in her crop.

Have a feel of her crop, and see if anything feels fibrous - because most impactions are caused by grass/straw/hay balls - and then I can give you more advice :)

maggiemc

My fear is she may have eaten too much grass, as we gave them some grass cuttings to play with on Sunday - raked up now.

xx
Jerky head/neck movements

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 21:58
by barley
xx
Chicken Shape

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 21:42
by Mulberry1990
xx
chicken with wonky neck

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 13:06
by Fannyann
xx
neck stretching chicken!!!

Started by chesh on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 21:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.