Best Crop To Grow As Mulch

• 13 Replies

RobertSongs

Best Crop To Grow As Mulch
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:27 »
Hello.

I am toying with the idea of putting one of my raised beds over to growing
crops purely for mulching the rest of the plot to improve soil quality long term and make me/the plot more self sufficent kind of along the lines of chop n drop permaculture. I already have some comfrey started from seed in trays..but i was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on what else i could grow here in the uk for this purpose.. Many Thanks.
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

compostqueen

Re: Best Crop To Grow As Mulch
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43 »
I noticed your signature.  Can you not find any curry leaves in the shops? Or are you trying to grow them ?  :)

As regards mulch, off the top of my head, homemade compost, rotted down leaves (leafmulch), straw but it's a pain as it blows about if you're on a windy site like me), spent hops, seaweed, mushroom compost, chipped bark, shredded newspaper etc

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 13:20 »
pea and bean foliage make good additions to the compost heap and you can always take a crop off before you chop them.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 13:24 »
The main i thing i use for much on my plot is grass clippings. If you have grass paths, you'll get more than enough of those, i wouldn't dedicate a bed to grass, it'd be a terrible waste of growing space.
Also i use nettles, as they have deep roots and bring the nitrogen up from lower levels, and i still have a few on my plot (the ladybirds love them- i'm tempted to leave a small patch) but again, not recommended to grow intentionally.  ::)

Comfrey really is the best thing you can grow to use as a feed/ mulch, and then there's all the additional things that you can import in, like compostqueen listed.

Outside of that, green manures are good, not necessarily for mulch but will improve the soil in the same way. You just sow them and dig the plants in. There's different green manures depending on what time of the year you want to grow them/ dig them in.... and you have to factor them into your crop rotation as some are legumes, and some are in the brassica family.

You'll probably find green manure seed elsewhere thats a bit cheaper than this site,  but they have a lot of good info and i found them reliable
http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/
Quite a lot of these, like Phacelia, the bees absolutely LOVE btw. I grow a few to pop in amongst my veg patch to tempt them into working for me on pollination
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 13:32 by TheSpartacat »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 13:47 »

You could try growing a very underated weed.  .  .   :wub:. . . . SEAWEED !     I'll get me coat.      Cheers,     Tony.. ::)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 14:02 »
I have got a order in for Comfrey root stock from Orgainic Garden, I'am told it makes excellent mulch  :)
qui audet adipiscitur

TheSpartacat

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 15:05 »
Just had a thought, If you've started comfrey from seed, then its the kind of comfrey that spreads like billy-o... you'll have a whole patch in no time.  :D
The other kind of comfrey is Bocking 14- its sterile and propagated by root division so it doesn't take over

Higster

• Experienced Member
  • The Start
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 17:29 »
I've got the Block14 coming which is the root stock  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 18:21 »
And the OP said he was growing seeds. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 18:29 »
I have a patch of alfalfa which I am intending to cut and use as a mulch but I have no idea how much mass it produces.

RobertSongs

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 22:48 »
Thanks for all responses

I`ve made my mind up and will be growing mulch crops in the bed earmarked. It gets some shade so the comfrey should love it there, ill let it just do its thing and then give it the barber shop treatment as and when its ready and import as much free organic matter as possible . I want to avoid buying to much compost (at the moment i might aswell ask for B&Q vouchers for Christmas). I think the idea of laying nettles on the soil is a good one i can see me and the kids having some very interesting trips to the local park with secateurs a large hessian sack and a tube of wasp- eze. :ohmy:
Along with the growing of the green manures for overwintering i should hopefully start seeing an improvement in the soil reasonably quickly..I did like the idea of growing sea weed Klefti but I`ve been down to the plot and it would appear that my polytunnel will only keep the water out.. ::)..bit of a shame really because i am partial to a bit of sushi.

As for the curry leaf Compost Queen i am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and then im gonna try and get some going from cuttings from our local asian supermarket im not particulary optimistic but only time will tell..I've seen plants for sale online but they are quite pricey so ill have a go first..

Thanks for all your contributions its given me plenty of food for thought.. :D

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53 »
The curry plant though always turns out to be helichrysum which is not what we want at all  :)

Speaking of nettles. I leave patches of nettles to grow on my plot, around the margins and by the hedge and compost bins so I can strip the leaves and bung them in the bin as an activator. I grow my comfrey by the bins too for the same purpose

Comfrey is good news and you can use it as a mulch, compo activator and plant food.  I put the leaves under my brassicas etc at planting time

RobertSongs

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:43 »
Helichrysum with curried prawns...mmm not sure you will be seeing that on masterchef any time soon... :D

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:55 »
Dunno!  Seen worse  :tongue2:

xx
raspberries best ever crop to grow or what

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 21:46
by sunshineband
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh
xx
Low ph mulch

Started by waddecar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:19
by milkman

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 38 queries.