'Blind chicken'

• 2 Replies

Kezza

'Blind chicken'
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:46 »
Hi there

I am a newbie to this forum and have enjoyed reading some of the topics that have been posted.

I have owned my four ladies for two years this March.  I am still very much learning and am subscribed to 'Your Chicken' magazine, which I think is great!

My hens are named, Matilda, Olive, Miriam and Dorothy.  Dorothy (Speckledy) could see perfectly well when I bought her, but over time I noticed that she didn't seem to 'see' corn and tit bits on the floor.  Her eye's have clouded over and she now is quite blind.  I believe she see's the outline of things and instinctively follows the others to bed at night.

It takes her a while to come out in the morning as she has to feel her way out.  I think the other hen's know she finds it difficult to see and they seem to respect her and let her feed in peace etc.  She finds the feeding trough and feeds well on pellets and drinks well.

She is a beautiful bird, grey and speckeldy and in good health.  I am not sure if she will lay anymore though, due to finding it rather a chore getting in and out of the coop!  Shame as she always used to lay gorgeous eggs.

Thought I'd post this story and wondered if anyone else may have had, or has got a blind chicken like me?!!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 18:18 by Kezza »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: 'Blind chicken'
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:57 »
if you are sure it is cloudiness caused by a cataract and not ocular mareks - details of which can be found here:-

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203602.htm

then she will be just fine. Do not let her free range and make sure everything is always placed in the right place. if necessary make the access into the coop as easy as possible. She may not be laying at the moment as it is winter.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kezza

Re: 'Blind chicken'
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 13:01 »
Thank you for that...I will have a read  :)

xx
Chicken going/gone blind

Started by colliebird on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 08:49
by colliebird
xx
BLind chicken

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 19, 2011, 21:46
by jhub
xx
Help with blind chicken in this weather

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 11:33
by joyfull
xx
Think my chicken has gone blind, advice please?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 09:07
by joyfull

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 40 queries.