keeping partridge

• 4 Replies

bluecharlie

keeping partridge
« on: January 22, 2012, 22:29 »
Hi all, can anyone advise me about partridge,long story of how i got them but i have 2 male red legged partridge,6months old now and happy and healthy until now,1 picks on the other,so more space is needed for them but are they ok to live alone? do they need more of their own kind or will they live with others such as quail?
what else do they need? aviary size?foods etc any info appreciated

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: keeping partridge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32 »
found this website:-

http://therealowner.com/birds/unusual-pets-partridges/

as they are both males I think you need to get them some females now that the mating season is now approaching  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 16:23 »
found this website:-

http://therealowner.com/birds/unusual-pets-partridges/

as they are both males I think you need to get them some females now that the mating season is now approaching  :(

I can second that joyfull, the male Japanese quail I had to put into isolation after he attacked two females who were not ready for his advances.  He now spends most of the night calling even though I have brought him indoors and out of earshot of the females.  He even takes up a posture when he sees me.  Sort of crouches his head close to the floor of his cage and fluffs his back feathers up.  He resembles a hedgehog and looks really comical, this is part of the mating ritual.   :lol:  He jumps to the cage door when I change his water and top up his food.  Such a fiesty little thing but he will have to wait a little longer to be introduced to some more mature ladies.

Hope that you can find some ladies for your partridges bluecharlie but you may need to separate them if you don't want any serious injuries.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bluecharlie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 19:56 »
thank you for your replies i have looked at the web site and it gives very good information,will plod on with them,
many thanks

Mickle

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35 »
Always tried to let Partridge choose their own mate, you won't be able to pen cocks and hens together unless you give them a decent sized area where they can form boundries and territorial fights will be common, these are after all Gamebirds and with spring on the way aggression is the norm,
Speaking as a man of the land, the best place for them is free or wrapped in bacon ;-)

xx
Ex-batts vs Partridge chickens...advice please

Started by Carla on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 18:07
by joyfull
xx
dutch bantam partridge hens

Started by RigsVilleBird on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 22:17
by pekinpete
xx
Chocolate-cream partridge bantam wyandotte

Started by gsc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 20:20
by cluckingnuts
xx
Silver Pencilled/Chocolate Partridge - difference as chicks?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 20:37
by cluckingnuts

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 38 queries.