Introducing a new bird

• 4 Replies

Budboy

Introducing a new bird
« on: January 21, 2012, 13:21 »
Sadly, I have just lost one of my 3 Pekins because of a bad prolapse.  I would like to consider buying another but am not sure of the introduction process.  My two girls are approx. 30 weeks.  Any advice please?

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: Introducing a new bird
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 15:59 »
Hi its always hard to introduce new chucks into a group i found the best way was to intrduce when the chucks were free ranging this seems to give the newbeys chance to get out of the way from the others it usualy takes a few weeks for it to be accepted, have you got the space to introduce 2 new birds ? this will mean the others have 2 to pick on and not all on to 1, if you go back to previus posts on here you will find a lot of help and advice on the subject. good luck  :D
Chicken crazy

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 17:21 »
I would agree that if you have the space it would be better to introduce two newbies to your resident birds.

To begin with, you need to quarentine your birds for about two weeks.  This is so that if they have any infections or diseases you will be able to tell before they pass them on to your resident birds.  You need to keep them separate but in view of each other if possible.  You could gradually try putting their drink and water closer together each side of a fence so that they get used to each other.

You could try then try introducing the newcomers into the coop after dark.  This needs to be well after dark and not at dusk so that the birds are semi-comatose.  Pop the new birds onto the perch next to the resident birds and let them all out together in the morning.

Make sure that there are plenty of drinking and water stations around so that the new birds have easy access to both.

Keep purple spray handy in case blood is drawn.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Budboy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 17:29 »
Thank you both.  Yes I do have room for two and it makes sense so I will follow your advice.  I presume it is important to get birds of a similar age too, I would like to perhaps ensure that they are already laying as the loss of my girl was due to her first egg prolapse, I wouldn't want to see another bird go through that again, very sad.  :(

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 18:07 »
It wouldn't matter if you mix say P.O.L to 30 week old birds.. should be fine..
Also quaranteening for a while to prevents diseases if sensible but i don't think it would be a problem when just introducing 1 or 2 to exisiting small flock.

I would always advice integrating at nite.

Also wouldn't arm to treat against diseases when introducing.
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

xx
Introducing new hen...

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 15:34
by bantam novice
xx
re introducing

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 21:46
by goosebusters75
xx
Introducing new chucks

Started by walker on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 13:36
by bantam novice
xx
Introducing youngsters

Started by BARNACLE BILL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 19:35
by New shoot

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.