which compost have you bought 2012

• 211 Replies

savbo

Re: which compost have you bought 2012
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 15:22 »
I just picked up Aldi organic compost and growbag very cheap. Remember, if you are growing veg you can't use compost with anything added to stop pest and diseases. That's why I choose organic.

I think in the past Aldi, Lidl and others have been rather liberal with their use of the word Organic - i.e. made of organic chemicals, rather than guaranteed free from /manufactured without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilisers. If it doesn't have a Soil Association logo, or a european equivalent, it's not 'organic' as in the sense of 'organic gardening'.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 15:52 »
I'll repeat this again:
This topic is entitled :

which compost have you bought 2012   
That means this year and not which compost have you bought in previous years. 
Please confine your report to the topic so that it will build over the next couple of months to be a useful piece of content on which members can base their purchasing decisions.

It would also give the moderators less work to do in removing irrelevant posts

CornishCol

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 21:07 »
lidl's peat free at 1.99 for 40litres is outstanding value, incredibly heavy -almost the same as a standard 70-80litre equivalent. Its fairly fine with little fibrous / woody bits and smells which would i think indicate a high organic matter content. Ideal for raised beds, potting on etc. Peat -free is much more environmentally friendly that organic (peat) based surely?

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 21:36 »
Wicks Multicompost   ( is that brief enough)
bazial

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53 »
Wicks Multicompost   ( is that brief enough)

Far too brief to be helpful, especially in view of the opinions expressed in this thread as to whether this year's Wickes compost is as good as last year's.

Do you know if yours is new stock, and if it is, does it look anything like the stuff I posted a picture of in Reply #57? (I've had another look at it since then and have decided that if anything the picture is rather flattering.  :nowink:)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:59 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38 »
I've bought Wickes this year (because I did last year and it worked well). As you say its very different. I'm using it for seeds but am going to keep a close watch and might revert to Levingtons.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2012, 14:47 »
Wicks Multicompost   ( is that brief enough)

Far too brief to be helpful, especially in view of the opinions expressed in this thread as to whether this year's Wickes compost is as good as last year's.

Do you know if yours is new stock, and if it is, does it look anything like the stuff I posted a picture of in Reply #57? (I've had another look at it since then and have decided that if anything the picture is rather flattering.  :nowink:)

Hi  JAYG
            My wicks multicompost was 2012 vintage looked just like yours ..It looked like the sweeping of the barbers floor ai the end of the day ..No what I would call compost ,so the 4 bags were dug into the flower garden at home and the greenhouse border.
Back to Leveington compost from Brookside Nureries .

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2012, 23:24 »

I bought wilko's own multicompost  81p for 15 litres.

Lots of twig like bits in it ,and quite coarse and moist

mparveen

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2012, 15:35 »
This morning I bought the compost of our Allotment Organisation, It's branded Clover and is has reduced peat in it and is also Organic!

When i filled my seed trays this morning, it's similar to Asda's own compost.  Will report back in a few months time so tell how I feel about the compost!

A 70 litre bag cost me £3.50 :D
A novice gardener and looking forward to getting seriously fit with my allotment!

The allotment is 16 ft wide and roughly 90 ft long split into 8 plots!

jrko

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 08:03 »
2x B&Q 125L bags at £6.80 a pop - good basic for potting on.  A bit compacted because of the square packaging but it allows more economical transportation.  Packaging prone to tearing so be careful when handling.

6x Tomorite grow bags 3 for £12.  Good as usual.  Before setting in final position just bash em about a bit to loosen up.
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 13:53 »
After the disaster of Wicks compost which I dug into the Flower garden ,I have bought some Levenington compost ,this is quality stuff just like last year £5.99 for 70 ltr bag

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 16:49 »
The Wickes compost I bought was fine
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 16:50 »
Bought some Westland John Innes seed compost today:

Enough said.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 18:55 »
DD - is that bit on the left crumbly? I sometimes get chunks of sandy clay in my John Innes Seed compost yet it crumbles OK. I won't comment on the awful bit on the right.

I bought Wickes 70 litres multi-purpose compost and mine it very woody,  disappointing as it's been good for at least four years.

I also bought some Clover 75l multi-purpose and the texture is nice and fine and I think I'll buy more of that rather than Wickes.

mparveen

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2012, 19:08 »
DD - is that bit on the left crumbly? I sometimes get chunks of sandy clay in my John Innes Seed compost yet it crumbles OK. I won't comment on the awful bit on the right.

I bought Wickes 70 litres multi-purpose compost and mine it very woody,  disappointing as it's been good for at least four years.

I also bought some Clover 75l multi-purpose and the texture is nice and fine and I think I'll buy more of that rather than Wickes.

I bought this from my allotment for £3.50 and found the soil absolutely fantastic, comparing it to Asda's one this one was a lot more crumblier! 

xx
I think I've bought some duff compost

Started by cathy81walking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 20:36
by pipfit
xx
Can shop bought compost go off?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 07:57
by fatcat1955
question
shop-bought compost

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Modifying shop bought compost

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:46
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.672 seconds with 38 queries.