Soil for the first year

• 3 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
Soil for the first year
« on: January 18, 2012, 19:53 »
Hi everyone

I dont know what to expect this first year in regards to growing, so just wondered when I should be thinking about conditioning my soil in the beds.  I do have a soil kit but it didnt work last weekend so dont know if I have a rubbish tester.  Gonna try again this weekend, as I admitedly I did in a rush to see what kind of soil I have.

The allotment has not been worked for 3 years so weeds have been dug out and is now bear soil.  The soil I have is hard to judge, but it does look heavy but hard to tell until it is dry, due to constant rain.

My intention is to have 4 beds - potatoes; roots/onions; peas & Brassicas.

When do I need to start conditioning the soil I have in time for planting around March?
There is a good sale at Wickes on Compost so thought I would take advantage of this.

My understanding is Brassicas love lime and compost at digging time; The Roots need a general purpose fertiliser 2 wks before sowing; potatoes need enriching with compost.

I dont have any of my own compost yet.  PS. What would be the best general purpose fertiliser?

Thank you
Amanda  :D

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: Soil for the first year
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 20:27 »
Hi everyone

I dont know what to expect this first year in regards to growing, so just wondered when I should be thinking about conditioning my soil in the beds.  I do have a soil kit but it didnt work last weekend so dont know if I have a rubbish tester.  Gonna try again this weekend, as I admitedly I did in a rush to see what kind of soil I have.

The allotment has not been worked for 3 years so weeds have been dug out and is now bear soil.  The soil I have is hard to judge, but it does look heavy but hard to tell until it is dry, due to constant rain.

My intention is to have 4 beds - potatoes; roots/onions; peas & Brassicas.

When do I need to start conditioning the soil I have in time for planting around March?
There is a good sale at Wickes on Compost so thought I would take advantage of this.

My understanding is Brassicas love lime and compost at digging time; The Roots need a general purpose fertiliser 2 wks before sowing; potatoes need enriching with compost.

I dont have any of my own compost yet.  PS. What would be the best general purpose fertiliser?

Thank you
Amanda  :D

Hi Amanda

Brassicas love well rotted manure and as much of it as you can get your hands on,  you'll only need to lime if your soil is to acid (need to get your soil tester working for that) and the time to get manure on is ASAP.

Your root/onion bed will need digging deeply when you feel the soil is dry enough and you can use compost on there but not manure.

As for general purpose fertilizer go for growmore.

And if you can get some compost heaps built.

As soon as it's dry get stuck in March will be here before you know it.

Enjoy your plot, Baz

Faff free zone!

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 20:36 »
Thanks Baz

this is very helpful.  We need to build our composters as the one on there is knackard.  For my brassicas i dont have any well rotted manure so will have to just use compost at digging time and cross my fingers!  The Brassicas I am growing are Broccoli, Brussels and Rocket, so not the end of the world if they dont work.

cheers
Amanda

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 20:41 »
If your plot has not been growing any veg for three years, chances are it will be very fertile.  Mine was.  I planted cabbages but did not dig it first. I just made holes and firmed them in.   It was so successful that I carried on not digging it  :D  Brassicas seem to like hard soil, as do leeks and celeriac, oh and spuds are happy being planted in holes.  Muck is a good plan though and homemade compost is fantastic stuff and easy to make. Don't forget to make a leaf bin too  :)

xx
Using the soil in last year's grow bags

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 16:59
by rich24uk
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
xx
small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.572 seconds with 36 queries.