Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

• 14 Replies

nellie97

Very poorly hen; can anyone help?
« on: January 16, 2012, 15:44 »
Hello all. I have a 2 year old hen who went off her food and 'puffed up' on Thursday. I took her to the vet on Friday and he said her temp. was slightly raised but could find nothing else wrong with her. He gave her an antibiotic injection. She is regularly wormed and has no mites. We have brought her indoors today as she was just lying on the ground in the cold. Her abdomen is now contracting regularly and I don't know what else to do. She is a dearly loved pet of our seven year old and we would hate to lose her. Can anyone help? Should be put her in a warm bath perhaps?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Very poorly hen; can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 16:00 »
Hi, it may be a soft egg or egg which has become stuck, yes a warm bath for about 30 mins this should relax her enough for the egg to pass, then dry her and use a low setting on the hair drier, when mine where laying softies it would really take it out of them and they sat hunched as you described.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 19:10 »
If you're going to give her a warm bath I would keep her indoors tonight in a hen box or cat carrier as it's below freezing    If you do, make sure the room does not get too hot  :)

Good luck with your girl and I hope by morning she's much improved

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 19:57 »
Ask Joyful for advice on this one, I'm sure she has commented on something to this previously... Am sure be a long soon
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

nellie97

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:42 »
Good morning and thanks for your advice. She hada 30minute bath last night and seemed to perk up a bit. She had something to eat and drink and walked around for a little while albeit with a very rolling gait. We kept her indoors last night but sadly no egg. She is still constantly straining so about to pop her back in the bath and hope for the best.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48 »
Good luck. Hope all turns out well.
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:55 »
she could be getting ready to lay a soft egg, the hunched up unwell looking points to theis, as does the straining. This can last a few days as it is very difficult for them to pass an egg without a shell - there is nothing for them to strain against. Keep a close eye on her to make sure she passes it safely - if it breaks inside her the others will peck at her rear end to get the dripping egg and eat it. This can lead to her being pecked to death as they will often draw blood and they go into a frenzy for blood.
If it does break inside then ideally get her to a vet asap for antibiotics to prevent internal infection.
If it passes ok then she will soon perk up as if nothing has been wrong.
Make sure they have access to crushed oyster shell all day every day to help promote strong shelled eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:02 »
How is she Nellie97?

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35 »
you could try a old remidy of a bit of epsom salts mixed with water  :blush: hope all goes ok
Chicken crazy

nellie97

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58 »
She's just the same. Keeping her indoors on a warm towel and she's still straining.

kegs

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 13:26 »
You could try another bath and you could also try gloving up, putting some lubricant (vaseline/KY) on your finger and then gently up her vent which might help her pass an egg if she is egg bound.

nellie97

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 18:57 »
Hello again. Update on Dave; though she hasn't laid an egg the pulsating and straining has calmed down and she is now walking around the house having a good nosey:-) She has loose green poo and I'm wondering now if it could be a stomach upset rather than a stuck egg. I am daring to hope she will recover as she seems so much better than she was yesterday. Keeping her indoors for another night to see how she goes.

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 22:36 »
As above Epsom Salts is good, Have you tried it.. Cheap & Effective.

nellie97

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07 »
Dave went back outside yesterday and came out first thing this morning with the others. She is now eating and drinking and though her tail is still down she is much livelier. I have no idea what was making her so ill but am glad the vet gave her antibiotic. Thanks everyone for your help. I shall now be an avid reader of this forum :)

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:26 »
That sounds more like it. Good idea to nip her off to the vet sharpish and the timely antibiotic was a good idea.  Keep an eye on her  :)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 18:30
by bantam novice
xx
Poorly hen.

Started by Andwynn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 09:51
by Andwynn
xx
Please help...Poorly hen...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 00:37
by pink-chicken

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 29 queries.