Seed cost?

• 62 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Seed cost?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 15:53 »
I go in with neighbouring, (yes Mr. Google Chrome spell checker - that's the correct way) plotholders.

Split the packet, split the cost. Simples.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 16:02 »
My only "must buy" annual puirchases are parsnip and F1 sweet corn seeds (don't keep and don't keep/not enough in the packet respectively!)   :tongue2:

Other than that the outlay is not much more than buying seeds for "this year's experiment," because growing on a small scale most packets of most things last for years.  :)

(I know Stompy excluded the cost of seed potatoes but I can't help but mention that I've just managed to buy some Lady Christl from a fairly local garden centre. YIPPEEEE!!)  :happy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Christine

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 17:32 »
If I was buying from a cold start I would reckon that £55 would cover everything including garlic and onion sets. Remember that I have a full allotment so plenty of space to fill.

If I bought from the allotment association only I have no doubt that I could reduce that to £35 for a cold start.

I reckon that for the next couple of years I shan't need to spend more than £15 unless I decide to try something extravagant.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 17:44 »
I've spent £7 on chilli seeds this year plus the ones I got in Wilkos at the end of last season. They had 70% off their seeds and I got most of what I need this season then including the left overs from last year.

I still have to get my spuds, parsnips and peas, then I'm done.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 17:50 »
About £10-15 this year, although there will be a 35% discount through the allotment association.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 18:37 »
I've bought a few pounds worth from Premier seeds on Ebay too, I haven't paid ANYTHING though as I sold a few bits and bobs last year on there and the cash was sat in my Paypal account, RESULT!  Just hope I can get them to grow now  :D

There's a potoato day locally coming up and I'm worried I'll go mad buying loads, I haven't planned a generous amount of space to spuds but I can't resist going and looking around. Plus there was a mention of refreshments and CAKE, so I'm definitely going.

Stompy, you must have a huge plot  ;)
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 19:03 »
check out the garden center group  went to saunders ( wyvale group) and all this years seeds are half price whilst the 99p stores have packets of tomatoes with six different packs in, garden pearl gardeners delight  marmande monymaker roma and san marzane.
 the also do various other collections
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

stompy

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 19:21 »
Stompy, you must have a huge plot

It's 350sqft i think! or yds! can't remember.

It is very big, look on my diary page and there are a few pics.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 19:26 »
Must be sq yards. 350 sq feet is less than 39 sq yds.

Mine is about that size.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 19:54 »
I'm sure i spent at least £55 on seeds in my first year... but i also have a ridiculous seed addiction and enjoy exploring new varieties for flavour, freshness and novelty... so i'm sure i could be more frugal than i am, if i was doing it to simply save money growing my own...

However...
I do find myself swearing a lot when looking at the prices that some of the large seed companies charge in their catalogues, for seeds as well as plants... It sometimes seems that they're taking advantage of new growers that just don't know any better but who use them because they are "well known".
Eg. In the latest catalogue, a certain company is wanting £9.99 for 10 pea plug plants, "plus 5 free" (because they're generous)
I nearly choked! :mad:
The same company wants £2.55 for 6 Atlantic Giant seeds...

Of course i don't shop with them... i just look at their pretty catalogues... and then shop elsewhere

allot2learn

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 20:13 »
I think it's the glossy catalogues and fancy websites that push up the price of seeds. They must spend a fortune posting out literature to 1,000's of people who never order a thing.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 20:21 »
You can get up to 5,000 seed in 50g of beetroot seed. How many in your 99p packet?

It does make me wonder sometimes about how many seeds they put in a packet....like 500 lettuce seeds. I know they're light and usually cheap, but how many years would you get from 500 seeds?

Suppose you could get through several hundred beetroot seeds a year, your wee might be a funny colour though  :)

Let alone the dog - she loves beetroot...;0)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 20:24 »
Alan Romans are another very cheap but good supplier. Limited selection, but bargain prices.

Yep, just put my order in from Alan Romans.  Spent £5.50 plus P&P.  Their prices have gone up a little though as when I first used them, I think everything was 50p a packet.  Some of mine today were only 60p!

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 20:24 »

I do find myself swearing a lot when looking at the prices that some of the large seed companies charge in their catalogues, for seeds as well as plants... It sometimes seems that they're taking advantage of new growers that just don't know any better but who use them because they are "well known".
Eg. In the latest catalogue, a certain company is wanting £9.99 for 10 pea plug plants, "plus 5 free" (because they're generous)
I nearly choked! :mad:
The same company wants £2.55 for 6 Atlantic Giant seeds...

Of course i don't shop with them... i just look at their pretty catalogues... and then shop elsewhere

LOL sounds familiar I get all the catalogues too but hardly ever buy, I had an email off Suttons a few days ago advertising there first early spuds for JUST £8.49 for 3kg I nearly choked I pay £3 for 3kg suffice to say I won't be taking them up on there fantastic offer.
Faff free zone!

RobertSongs

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 22:02 »
I have a half sized plot which is split into eight 2.4 x 1.2m raised beds plus a nine ft tunnel with various smaller beds squeezed in the gaps. I get my seeds from moreveg online they sell seed in realistic amounts that i would likley sow in one season..usually spend around £20 on seed then pick up a few packs here and there from wilko`s or DIY stores as the year progresses.
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

xx
Cost?

Started by Zammoimp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:20
by woodburner
xx
How much do you think it will cost you

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 23:37
by Paul Plots
xx
Allotment cost

Started by Brightie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 10:50
by Ivor Backache
xx
cost of a plot?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 15:04
by Mrs Gumage

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 38 queries.