WARNING about using Hemcore for Quail

• 5 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
WARNING about using Hemcore for Quail
« on: January 15, 2012, 17:33 »
I have been using Hemcore for my quail and found it really good that is until I bought the last batch.  A day after using the new bail nearly all of my quail had it bound round their feet.  It was a nightmare to get off as it was like fine cotton wool and had entangled around their feet and claws together with poo.  I have not had this problem before but have had to clean them out again today and put sawdust in the bedding area and kiln dried sand in their feed area.  I had to clean the feet of three of them again today even though I had done them all last night.  Won't be using Hemcore again for them but thought I would just warn anyone else who uses it for their quail. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: WARNING about using Hemcore for Quail
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 17:45 »
We had that problem when the quail were on grass, then hem core was getting stuck to their feet and turning into solid blocks daily. They're now in an aviary where no rain can get it and we haven't had the problem since.
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

ANHBUC

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 17:57 »
Have been checking online Mulberry and it seems to be the quality of the product since the company has been taken over.  It looks like some of the bails have been recalled due to these fibres being in the product.  My quail are in very dry and sheltered conditions and I have two lots of quail.  The only ones that were affected were the ones I had put the new bail of Hemcore in when cleaning out.  It is really bad for the quail so I am not going to chance it again.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33 »
Hemp derived bedding is very good at soaking up the damp but can cause problems such as those mentioned. Many will not use it for horses as it dries their feet out! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:55 »
Thanks for the info Sassy, I am going to use the new bale in the chicken coop but keep an eye out for any problems.

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 18:16 »
We have been using it for about 12 months,a have had the same problem with the last batch.To make it worse some of our chucks are the feathered feet breeds and today has been a nightmare,so hard to get off,even with soaking ended up carefully using doggy nail clippers and had to keep nipping the edges until it came loose without extracting a toe or nail :ohmy:
Am now going to go back to straw for the run and coop and shavings for my nest boxes.
We only started using hemp A/it rots quicker and B/soaks up the damp in the run if we had of had a wet winter.   
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

xx
Hemcore

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 21:39
by Bruced
xx
Hemcore

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 22:59
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Hemcore

Started by slowef on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 21:50
by 02rlgudgin
xx
Hemcore or NOT to Hemcore?

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 21:14
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 36 queries.