Copper slug deterent tape?

• 9 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Copper slug deterent tape?
« on: January 15, 2012, 17:03 »
    I know slugs arn't supposed to like copper but does this stuff really work?   I'm sure alot of people on here must've tried it.  It's not cheap so just wanted some opinions on it before I decide to get any.  Or if anyone's got any better ideas on a slug killer/deterent I'd love to here of it.  I'm aware of the covered container of beer dug to ground level and don't want to use slug pellets as it's for around growing area.

Cheers. 

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Copper slug deterent tape?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 17:19 »
I believe copper tape does work but it is very expensive.  Also, it might prevent slugs from crossing, but does not affect the slugs already in the soil.  There are organic slug pellets that work quite well.  Why don't you want to use pellets around growing areas?
Cheese makes everything better.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 17:45 »
   Just because alot of slug pellets contain poisons like melaldehyde etc and I don't believe most chemical corporations when they say that they're safe to use near edible plants when alot of the time the research is carried out by the same company who's selling the product although I can't comment on the organic pellets that you're refering to.  What's the active ingredient in the organic pellets that kills the slugs?   

Ice

• muck spreader

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 17:50 »
Copper conducts electricity with moisture, so the dampness of the slug does that and it causes them discomfort to cross it. You can buy copper collars to put round plants, or find an old water tank or similar, to cut up. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:52 »
I can definitely say it works. We have some large plastic tubs at home that we often grow a few beans in. We never get any slug damage on the tubs with the tape around them.
Begs the question why I don't get my hand in my pocket and do the remaining tubs as well.......... ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 16:53 »
I have sometimes seen it in my local pound shop (same amount in the pack as HB but a fifth of the price).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 22:01 »
I have sometimes seen it in my local pound shop (same amount in the pack as HB but a fifth of the price).  :)

I saw it in the Gillingham, Kent.  99p shop too.
I know they don't always have the same stock nationwide, but it has got to be worth a look

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 13:38 »
I'm a bit unsure about pellets as well, not really over the chemicals in growing areas (if used properly and not piled up), but I am more concerned about birds eating the slugs, I have read that the chemicals can build up and cause them damage. Although, slugs supposedly bury themselves before they die, I have to say I have not seen many dead slugs!

However, I have been looking Nemaslug http://www.nemaslug.org.uk/ which seems to use microscopic worms which only kill slugs. It's not cheap, apparently 100m2 protection will last about 6 weeks, for about £25 - so I would image you would need 2 maybe three treatments over a season?

Has anyone tried it?
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 13:51 »
I have been looking Nemaslug http://www.nemaslug.org.uk/ which seems to use microscopic worms which only kill slugs.

This was discussed quite recently on the GYO board:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88086.msg976635#msg976635

You could also try a forum search for nematodes.

:)

xx
Hot spot tape

Started by shokkyy on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2013, 07:49
by arugula
xx
Glazing Tape?

Started by Slowgrind on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 09:59
by Slowgrind
xx
copper tools

Started by jackiestagg on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 08:30
by jackiestagg
xx
The Slug Bell; have you used them and do they work

Started by ARPoet on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 22:12
by Sylak

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 37 queries.