Growing strawberries at home?

• 7 Replies

fluffstermum

Growing strawberries at home?
« on: January 15, 2012, 13:40 »
We grow strawberries successfully at the allotment, both in raised beds and in the ground (through weed suppressant fabric).
We've ordered some different varieties to grow which will easily fill another raised bed at the allotment, with some left over.
I'd like to have these at home in the back garden, but as the garden is very small with no real space to plant them into the ground yet, I'm looking for different ways to grow them.

We've tried in troughs before (the plastic plant pot kind) but they didn't do particularly well for whatever reason - either not enough space or we didn't water enough I'm guessing.

I'd like to get a corner of the garden bricked off into a little raised bed area for strawberries, herbs etc, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

I suggested planting strawberries in the front garden (in place of summer bedding plants) but hubby is against this idea (in case someone pinches them or cats pee on them?!).

We also have plans for 3 blueberry plants at home (plus another 4 at the plot) so ideas for those would be welcome too, though I was planning to just pot them up in big pots and put them wherever they fit.

So - any innovative but cheap ways of growing strawberries in a tiny garden please?  :wub:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing strawberries at home?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 14:15 »
hanging baskets?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 15:48 »
I have my blueberry bush in the front garden and use it as a foundation bush next to the house facing south.  It is thriving and is just lovely with its white flowers in the spring and petite foliage that turns bright red in the fall.  Go to the garden centre and get a strawberry urn.  They are made of clay usually and are about two - three feet tall.  They're urns with little cupped openings for your strawberry plants.  They work a treat, fit anywhere, and the strawberries love them.  I got the idea to plant strawberries in hanging baskets from Jamie Oliver, of all people!  But these worked best of all!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 16:38 »
You can use welly boots as strawberry planters, not done it myself, but should be Ok as long as you water well and maybe use retaining granules.

LilacSandy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 16:51 »
If you want to brick off a little corner why not make it a few bricks high and leave out one or two bricks at the front.  Plant your Strawberries on the top and also in the spaces where the  bricks are missing.  With a large area you will not need to water so often as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 17:54 »
If you use wellies or other unusual containers, don't forget to make drainage holes.

fluffstermum

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 19:42 »
I hadn't even thought of hanging baskets, doh! We grew tomatoes in them a couple of years ago with no trouble at all.

I had thought about a strawberry planter/urn but vaguely remember hearing they weren't very good for some reason. I'll see if I can find a cheap one on my travels.

There is room in our front garden for one blueberry bush but I thought there needed to be a group in order to pollinate? I know one of the plants is self-pollinating, so I could put that one in the front by itself.

Thanks folks, wise words as always  :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 20:20 »
Most blueberry plants are self pollinating, but not all. Ask your plant supplier if yours needs a pollinating mate, which should also flower at the same time as yours since there are early, mid and late season bloomers. If you have bees regularly visiting your garden, then most single plants will do well provided you meet their needs of 'sour' soil and regular, adequate water. With one plant, don't expect to get masses of fruit.

xx
strawberries growing again

Started by shirazcat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2006, 14:13
by jennyb
xx
growing strawberries

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 22:36
by SarahB
xx
growing strawberries

Started by charlie615 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 22:24
by Growbag
xx
growing strawberries

Started by woody123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 10:52
by lightyears

Page created in 0.931 seconds with 37 queries.