should i get a couple of hens?

• 31 Replies

Kezza

Re: should i get a couple of hens?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 22:41 »
Hi
I have had my hens for coming up to 2 years.  I have 4 lovely ladies.  I started off with the largest eglu you can buy.  Even though it is great to clean etc, if you can't let the chickens roam the garden or move your eglu about due to space..it's a nightmare.  You have to crawl on your belly to get into the damn thing to clean the run out... not ideal!
I recently sold the eglu and bought a big walk in run.  I placed a beautiful duck egg blue coop inside with lots of logs for them to jump on and a table with a run (they love to climb up on the table).  I have also equipped them with a fancy mirror as they love to look at themselves!  The run is fully roofed so that they are always dry and they love their new home, and are very contented.
I could probably never go back to shop eggs, it's like finding treasure everyday when you find your eggs, and the novelty never wears off.
My sister has caught the bug and is buying some pekins very shortly...Give it a go, the rewards are so nice.  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 22:57 »
Hi
I have had my hens for coming up to 2 years.  I have 4 lovely ladies.  I started off with the largest eglu you can buy.  Even though it is great to clean etc, if you can't let the chickens roam the garden or move your eglu about due to space..it's a nightmare.  You have to crawl on your belly to get into the damn thing to clean the run out... not ideal!
I recently sold the eglu and bought a big walk in run.  I placed a beautiful duck egg blue coop inside with lots of logs for them to jump on and a table with a run (they love to climb up on the table).  I have also equipped them with a fancy mirror as they love to look at themselves!  The run is fully roofed so that they are always dry and they love their new home, and are very contented.
I could probably never go back to shop eggs, it's like finding treasure everyday when you find your eggs, and the novelty never wears off.
My sister has caught the bug and is buying some pekins very shortly...Give it a go, the rewards are so nice.  :)

Have you any photos of your new set up Kezza, I would like to have a look as it is what I am planning to do in the spring.  Did you build it yourself, if not where did you buy it?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 16:03 »
if you only want a couple of chucks you can get lots off e-bay

You can't get any chickens off eBay. Only hatching eggs and poultry keeping equipment.
Any day above ground is a good day.

ANHBUC

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 20:00 »
Hi

Have you any photos of your new set up Kezza, I would like to have a look as it is what I am planning to do in the spring.  Did you build it yourself, if not where did you buy it?

Thanks for emailing me your photos Kezza, it looks great.  Nice chatting to you as well.   :D

feutty

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 20:41 »
I purchased a small pen last year have kept 3 warrens and they have been happy still laying 12 months after purchase. the run came off the net £100. they have similar at wilkos.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 09:48 »
Hi Lizt
Go onto the gumtree website there are coops on sale today in yorkshire. There is one in york that might get you started. Remember to haggle on the price :lol:
Geo

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 09:52 »
Re coop in york
Just read the advert again, it says fully felted. not a good idea as thats where red mite love to live

ANHBUC

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 17:47 »
www.birdtrader.co.uk
and
www.preloved.co.uk

usually have plenty of second hand coops with runs.  Some are even selling them with hens.

lizt

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 20:34 »
hi all just a quick up date

i was hoping to take possession of a hen house with run tomorrow but i have a sinking feeling its going to fall through... :(

i'm still going to keep an eye out for one that is suitable, we have considered building one but the price of wood and lack of skill would cost us more than a pre built one.

cheers for all your support and advise. xxxx

lizt

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 07:21 »
i have got a hen coop, it's a roughly 4 foot high. 4 foot long and 3 foot wide. and it's very heavy!!! ha ha
i am very pleased with it and just need to finish off a secure run, which will be a bout 10 foot long and 4 foot wide.  :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15 »
That's great news lizt.  If you can make the run tall enough for you to walk in it makes things 100% easier for you.  :)

cheekychick22

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 20:36 »
ive only had my chickens for a week and i have already got round my partner to empty one of his huge sheds so i can have more lol they are so adictive

lizt

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 11:16 »
thanks guys, i've planned on putting netting over the run, the hight is about 4 1/2foot, so should be ok for getting in and out, the coop has a side door making it easy for me to get into.

they will be allowed out of the run but only when someone is home and can keep an eye on them, we have red kites and buzzards flying over and i'm not yet confident they are not able to get out of the garden.

lizt

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 20:38 »
hi all,
i hopefully have attached a photo of my girls. only had them a couple of days but they are settling in just fine.

they are a rhode rock, a bluebell and a cuckoo maran

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
hens.jpg

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 22:04 »
Lovely to follow your story and see them!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
Does anyone know where i can get a couple of Silike hens???

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 20:05
by new_2_veg
xx
Got new hens over the weekend and have a couple of questions

Started by wenhen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 16:30
by poultrygeist
xx
A couple of questions...

Started by scabs on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 12:25
by SnooziSuzi
xx
A couple of questions!!

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 18:24
by smiler43

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.