incubator day 22 ..... getting worried

• 9 Replies

silverteen

incubator day 22 ..... getting worried
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:30 »
i put my eggs in my forced air incubator 3 weeks ago yesterday (thurs) which means day 21 was yesterday. i bought 10 eggs and had 6 fertile eggs, one of which died after a few days and the last 5 were all alive when i candeled on day 18 and i set them. ir aised humidity to around 75-80%, it hovered around 30-40% for first 18 days.

I havent hear any cheeping like some people say but i have seen 3 of the eggs wobble slightly, they look like they are vibrating but that was on day 20 and still no signs of them breaking through!

Im getting worried now that they have died or cant break out! this is my first time incubating and i really dont want to lose any of the 5 let alone all 5.

Is it ever ok to help them out? i know it probably isnt the best idea but im worried. any help appreciated.

thanks

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: incubator day 22 ..... getting worried
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:40 »
Dont panic and sit tight  :)
I know how you feel, I hatched numerous eggs in a forced air incubator last year and it is sooooo stressful.
Dont worry about not hearing the cheap, sometimes you dont. It is always possible there is a problem but there is nothing you can do about it. However it is very likely they are just taking a bit longer espesially at this time of year.~The temperature may be a little lower than you think and because of this they will take a little longer.
Alot can happen in just a few hours, you wont help by trying to hurry things on, believe me I have made the mistake of panicing and jumping in when I should have left alone.
Please keep us informed, it is common for eggs to take an extra couple of days, they can even hatch a couple of days early.
 :wub:

silverteen

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:52 »
Thanks rileyfin,

Ive checked the thermometer i used and it may be 1c higher than i thought which means it was 36.5c instead of 37.5c.

I will sit tight until tomorrow night, itll be end of day 23 then.... been checking them every couple of hours since day 20 and think im driving myself insane.... convinced myself something is worng now.

is there a correct way to start the pipping off... i wont do it but good to know if no signs of pipping by day 24. i know on day 18 all 5 were fertile and moving around.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:13 »
Believe me even at the end of day 23 I would not worry. We had a duck egg hatched 3 days late.
There is no correct way to start the piping, and it is a messy and blooming job. When the chicks pip they then stop and absorb the blood from the blood vessels surrounding the egg, it is very easy to do too much and they bleed to death. This is even more stressful than what you are going through at the moment.
Even at the end of day 23 I would just leave it to nature, opening the incubator will drop the temp of the eggs and believe me if and when they start to cheep you will hear it with the incubator closed. I had one chick chirped so soudly in the egg i could hear it three rooms away. Remember sometimes you may not hear them cheep.
Very few of the chicks I tried to hatch by hand survived, it is far better they do it themselves, if they dont it is not ment to be  :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08 »
step away from the incubator - and sit on your hands  :D.
Eggs can still hatch even after day 27 so don't worry  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

silverteen

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 13:57 »
ha i know ..i know.

the last few days everytime i go home i rush to the incubator but nothing  :(

no changes since this morning, so thats a full 22 days in the incubator, cant see the eggs moving either... so im still worried.

ill try to be patient!

silverteen

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:20 »
last night after work the first had pipped through, hatched around 12pm last night, this is the chick this morning.

any idea what colour it will be?

the other 3 have all started pipping this morning so hopefully will hatch today...huge relief they are ok.

any ideas on colour for this cutie?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24 »
See patience is a virtue  :D.
What a gorgeous little chick  :)

kegs

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:14 »
What a gorgeous chick.  What eggs did you buy and let us see a pic of the others when they've hatched.

It makes me want to get my incubator out again.  :nowink:

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 16:03 »
Hi Silverteen,
Congratulations, I am sooooo pleased hatching started!  :D

xx
Am a bit worried

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 21:04
by bantam novice
xx
Should I be worried???

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 16:16
by kazzii2010
xx
really worried and don't know what to do for the best

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 18:49
by rachelr
xx
Getting worried now

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 13:14
by Evansent

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 37 queries.