Soil test kits

• 6 Replies

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Soil test kits
« on: January 09, 2012, 21:49 »
Do you use one and what do you think of it ? Thinking of getting one to tweak a bit.

AndyRVTR

Re: Soil test kits
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 21:54 »
Bought one when they were on offer in Aldi, the type that you push in the ground and read the meter, must say it was pretty accurate, I also used the test kit using soil sample and water at the same time, it read much the same as the electronic one.
After doing a few spot tests around the plot I found that my soild was slightly acidic, so I limed it year before last.  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 21:55 by AndyRVTR »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 21:57 »
I didn't like the push-in type, I used one like this

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 00:15 »
I have tried the stick in the soil probes and the results are not very consistent. Chemical kits as Momofstig advises work well.

Rather than taking spot samples you should aim to get an average pH for each section of your plot. i.e. last years brassica area, potato area etc. as you will be liming section by section and not spot by spot.

To achieve this take a bucket and a trowell and take several trowell size samples  to a depth of about 6 inches from a section. Mix them together well in the bucket and then test samples of that.

With spot samples you can hit a place where lime or fertilizer has been spilt, there is a lump of compost, a cat or other creature has peed and other variables which may give strange results.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 21:35 »
I've found that the only accurate way to measure soil is with the chemical kits. I bought one of those push in things and it was useless as it gave such wildly varying results...anything from pH5 to pH9. With that kind of variation you have no idea what to do with your soil.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 22:02 »
I've found that the only accurate way to measure soil is with the chemical kits. I bought one of those push in things and it was useless as it gave such wildly varying results...anything from pH5 to pH9. With that kind of variation you have no idea what to do with your soil.

Whereas my push in model was equally unhelpful showing pH of 7.00 everywhere, even in the ericaceous compost bought that morning  :lol:

Now have a chemical testing kit, which shows the soil to be much more alkaline over most of the plot
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00 »
I have a brassica loving 7.5 from the chemical test. Dug in some manure for the non-brassica bed but what do you do? Ended up buying a testing kit for nutrients which was on sale so the PSB didn't starve... ::)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
Soil testing kits

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 08:25
by Salmo
xx
SOIL ph KITS & METERS.

Started by len on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 20:21
by gremlin
xx
Soil test

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:47
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Soil Test Kit

Started by JimB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 19:09
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.704 seconds with 38 queries.