help with trying new veg

• 9 Replies

bigben

help with trying new veg
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:36 »
After watching perhaps too much Hugh Fearnly-W over the last month or so. I am planning on growing some new stuff and thought about Celeriac, Scorzonera and Salsify. Are the last two very similar and if so which is better in case I end up pushed for space. Can I stick them in the same bed as my parsnips, or even all three in with parsnips? Finally any tips on growing these three succesfully?

gobs

Re: help with trying new veg
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53 »
I wouldn't put celeriac with the rest, you can do next to, of course, but I grow them in a separate bed. Hungrier, bigger, needs good spacing individually. Also, very slow growing, I would advise to sow very early: Feb-early March indoors. It does not need much heat to germinate though.

The other 2 I cannot be too much help with as I only grew them a couple of times, mostly for playing and for the pretty flowers. I have enough with roots we desperately want to eat on heavy clay...

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

savbo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 14:35 »
salsify grows as a weed on our plot but it's so pretty we always let a few survive - but to date we haven't actually eaten any!

Agree that parsnip and celeriac don't go together that well...see my recent post...

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 14:38 »
I love the taste of celeriac, and I notice from watching Masterchef recently, that it's popularity has really taken off. Deservedly so  :)  I grow it on well manured soil, usually accompanied by celery.  It likes damp soil, especially soon after planting til it gets established

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 19:34 »

I haven't grown celeriac before so I can't help you there.

I have grown both salsify and scorzonera (from DT Brown),they were like very long thin parsnips,scorzonera was black in colour.

I enjoyed the taste of them, the problem was harvesting.

The roots were well over 2ft long  and difficult to dig up,especially without damaging nearby plants,and also some of the roots snapped when being removed

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 21:37 »
As said, celeriac needs a long season and plenty of water but it's worth it if you have the space. I grew salsify once and found it tasted like a parsnip but with a much thinner root so I never bothered again.

I would say give them all a go if you can because unless you do you'll never know!

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 23:17 »
I've not tried kohl rabi by my lotty neighbours love it so I fancy giving that one a go this year

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27 »

I haven't grown celeriac before so I can't help you there.

I have grown both salsify and scorzonera (from DT Brown),they were like very long thin parsnips,scorzonera was black in colour.

I enjoyed the taste of them, the problem was harvesting.

The roots were well over 2ft long  and difficult to dig up,especially without damaging nearby plants,and also some of the roots snapped when being removed

I had exactly the same probelm and tbh I am going to use the space for something else, as the flavour was not as exciting as I had hoped either
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:39 »
I was quite surprised how big the top growth of Salify got when I grew it, so bear that in mind Bigben as it will cast a bit of shade. 

It is a very easy, uncomplaining crop to grow.  Like the others I found it produced long roots and I did like the taste, which is not quite like anything other veg.  I didn't find it tasted of parsnip so much, which is just as well because I don't like them  :lol:  My main gripe was the time it took to scrape the roots - was too much work for my liking for not a lot of reward  ;)

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44 »
Celeriac does have big, erect foliage too.

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 37 queries.