Oh what have I done!

• 17 Replies

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
Oh what have I done!
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:51 »
I got a call late Sunday night from the BHWT. Asking if I could possible take any ex-batts. I have had quite a few over the years and was intending on have a few more in the spring once the weather improved wand it gets a bit warmer, but they were desperate as they had managed to rescue more than they had intended. What could I say?
I said I would have six and no more as my garden is like the Somme at the moment and OH wouldn't be impressed if I got more. Any way went up to collect them yesterday and I have to say I have had some pretty bad ones before but these begged belief! How can people that call themselves human let these poor creature get into such a state. I ended up bringing home 10. OH was fine once he saw the star of them and wonder why I had only brought home 10 ( his wonderful). Spent all day making them fleece jackets and they seem to be doing ok, early days I know but fingers crossed. I have never had them quite so bad and am particularly worried abou one she is very unsteady on her feet and had to help her out of the coop this morning, she is eating and drinking ok but finds it hard to move around. I might bring her in and feed her up separately for a few days as she does seem very weak. I have them on ex-batt mash ,sweetcorn and fish cat food. Any other suggestion greatly appreciated.

Wish me luck!
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Oh what have I done!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:30 »
as with all ex batts make sure they dont have to jump up or down to get in and out of their coops or onto perches as their muscles and bone structures will not be very strong. Ex batt crumb is ideal as it contains everything they need to build up their strength (I personally would keep treats to a very minimum as their digestive system won't be used to them). Don't let them overheat in their new clothes, but obviously try to keep them out of draughts (very difficult at the moment with the weather being like it is  :(), and good luck.
Staffies are softer than you think.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06 »
Never mind "oh what have I done" - you have done a wonderful thing by taking on these exbats. Best of luck with them, they are very lucky to have found you!
Helen

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:23 »
Hats off, such a kind gesture.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47 »
Why oh why have we allowed this to continue so long,I know about the new regs. Pictures of the state of these poor hens should be plastered all over the products of those who use these eggs. Makes me feel maybe I should get some.I was trying to resist getting chooks on the plot for a while until I have more time to give to them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:14 »
Just brought the worst girl indoors, I don't think she's gonna make it to be honest. Will give her a little longer but I think the kindest thing to do......

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:17 »
sadly that is too often the case,  :(

kegs

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22 »
I've no experience of ex bats but would some tonic and vitamins help them at all?

http://www.life-guard.co.uk/

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43 »
Thank you for the link. They are on extra vits and mins, poultry spice etc.
Just a case of waiting and hoping they all pull through really.

Thanks for the good wishes

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 13:02 »
 :blink:  Well done you.

One of my Black Rocks was very wobbly a couple of weeks ago.  She is molting and was the baldiest at the time.  She must have just been hungry due to being bullied she had a problem getting enough to eat and drink.  I have 2 feeders and 3 water stations for 6 hens.  I put her in a separate coop and run during the day for a couple of days and gave her layers pellets mixed with boiled water into a porridge.  On a night I put her back with the flock so she was warm enough.  On the second afternoon she had really improved and was pacing in the run wanting to be back with her friends.  She is feathering up nicely now and the bullying is minimal.

Good luck with you new hens.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

moomoos42

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 13:56 »
You've done a really wonderful thing. We took on just 3 ex-bats in October. One of ours, Rosie was worse than the others from the start  but she had 3 weeks of sunbathing, scrapping and freedom before she finally went to hen heaven.
 It hurts to lose them but at least we give them a chance. The joy they give back is amazing and i agree about pictures of what the hens go through just for cheap eggs!
Good luck :blink:

Thrift

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 15:38 »
That's a brilliant thing to do MH  :) What a pity it isn't a warmer time of year so they could get some sun on their backs. Good luck with them.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:23 »
Whatever happens at least you know you have done your very best and that ata least you gave her a chance :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 17:54 »
Lost one of the girls today, she was the weakest one and I had brought her indoors to keep her warm and keep an eye on her. She wasn't eating and I tried to tempt her with food and water but she was just to weak.
On a brighter note the other 9 are doing fine. Eating well and keeping warm in their pink poker dot jackets! (it was the only fleece material I could get at the time  :D) have even had some eggs off of them which is quite incredible considering the state of them. Fingers crossed they continue to thrive.

Budboy

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 19:17 »
Oh that's a shame, at least she passed on in the hands of someone who cared for her, which wouldn't have been the case has she remained in the battery.  So glad to hear the others are doing well, long may it be so.

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 38 queries.