growing swedes and parsnips

• 18 Replies

ilan

• Experienced Member
growing swedes and parsnips
« on: January 04, 2012, 16:35 »
I have dug up some of the parsnips and they seem massive about 18ins long and about 4-5 ins in diameter at the top whilst the swedes have only grown to about tennis ball size yet they seem to have a very thick neck to them almost pyramid in shape ? was this due to the dry summer last year  thanks
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

AlaninCarlisle

Re: growing swedes and parsnips
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 17:25 »
My parsnips are huge too. I put it down to good soil and, in the case of Cumbria, good mild growing conditions

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 17:52 »
ok ok, no need to rub it in about your parsnips....  :) :) :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 18:09 »
In my limited experience it seems easier to grow parsnips (once you've managed to get some to germinate ::)) than it is to grow swede.
In the first year I grew nothing edible, this year was better, after adding fertilisers and compost.
Watering all year does seem to help, but mine still weren't all successful. Most were big, but some still like your ones :(

Carrot Man

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 20:50 »
I have dug up some of the parsnips and they seem massive about 18ins long and about 4-5 ins in diameter at the top whilst the swedes have only grown to about tennis ball size yet they seem to have a very thick neck to them almost pyramid in shape ? was this due to the dry summer last year  thanks

Was the variety Gladiator? these are a large type Parsnip and I grew some exceeding 5' this year, however they were in drums
I also grew in my allotment and I too had them approx 18"
I depends how easy the soil is. If the soil prevents the root from growing down, then the weight will be all at the top giving a stumpy parsnip but thick on top

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 21:13 »
hi I had not thought of that they are in fairly heavy clay! I have struggled a bit on the manure front as I have cut the beds from an old lawn . I hope to start putting in raised beds this year , but again getting enough good quality soil to fill them all may be difficult . Any idears why the swedes are a bit of a disaster ? is it just water 

Johnnywesto

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 13:20 »
My parsnips are huge too. I put it down to good soil and, in the case of Cumbria, good mild growing conditions

Having a bumper crop down here in Barrow - you're right we've got the right climate for 'em in our part of the world
I'm off for a pint

LilacSandy

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 14:08 »
I had great parsnips but not one swede.  I am sure it was the very dry weather we had and as I have two 10 pole plots and am not allowed a hose I could not water everything so I think they just shrivled up and died.

I will try again this year but I will try them in the beds nearer the water butt just in case we have another very dry year as I am upset at having to buy them.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 16:28 »
Having a bumper crop down here in Barrow - you're right we've got the right climate for 'em in our part of the world
Same with leek too Johnny

madcat

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 16:36 »
My swede weren't up to much either and what I did get, the mice promptly ate.  I put it down to not enough water and perhaps not enough compost/feed.  They were at the end of a long bed and it was getting a bit thin by then. 

I wonder, just thought - I didnt lime them either.  As brassicas, I suppose I should have done.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 21:48 »
Swedes need a long growing season and decent weather to give a good yield. Last year my swedes were poor but in the past I've had them nearly football size. I have a fairly heavy alkaline soil and they seem to like that.

LilacSandy

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 08:17 »
There was no lime in the soil for mine so that could well be a contributing factor, forgot they were brassicas, well live and learn and this year will be better. (didn't I say that last winter and the winter before ...)

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:47 »
I get some little ones but most of mine get up to 5lb in weight, I use BF&B but I dont dig the soil underneath and it's rock hard as I have not dug it in three years.

bigben

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 10:22 »
Good picture Nash - do you find using weed fabric to work with roots? I have used it with onions and found it really helpful. Do you sow in rows with the fabric between or do you cut slits for to plant thru?

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 18:30 »
I do both Ben.

xx
will swedes and celerac keep growing

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 23, 2014, 21:20
by Growster...
xx
growing parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 16:44
by Jay The Digger
clip
Growing Parsnips

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post January 01, 2015, 10:40
by Kristen
xx
Growing parsnips

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 15:09
by aelf

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 38 queries.