Garlic Addict

• 5 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Garlic Addict
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:03 »
Saffy, our Goldline has developed a taste for garlic which I've been putting in one of their water containers, an old washing up bowl. I tend to crush the cloves on a log with my boot before drooping them into the water and the cheeky hen nicked it from under my foot and ran off with it, swallowing half of it straight off. I managed to retrieve the remaining piece and dropped it into the water but she then started "apple bobbing" for it and had quickly eaten that too. It explains why when I've changed the water over the last few days I'd not seen any garlic remains though I hadn't thought to question it as half asleep when doing the chores

No garlicky tasting eggs so far   :blink: but I wondered whether this was likely to be her telling me she was lacking in something or just that she likes the taste of it.

BTW there is a mismatch between the emoticons above and what they are labelled as eg the smiley I used says wink, whereas the wink icon says blink hence the post being modified.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:05 by Ben_H »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Garlic Addict
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15 »
some of mine love garlic and will also do all they can to get hold of any (I can no longer grow garlic where they can get to it as they dig it up  ::)).
As for the emoticons they should be back to normal after the 12th night, sadly the santa ones never have quite matched up  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

emmaellis

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 22:08 »
I use the dried garlic (sold in tubs for horses) and mix a scoopful with each feeder full of pellets.

I think they just generally like the taste but the reason I began using it was that it had been mentioned that it stops their poop from smelling.....and it works!

And no, my eggs don't taste garlicky either!

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 00:22 »
Mine get garlic powder all the time, mixed in their mash, and they love it!
I don't think the eggs are tainted. We wouldn't notice (we love the stuff!) but I think my neighbours might ......
There again...maybe that's why they taste soooooo good.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:08 »
I had to buy chicken feed the other day and picked up some of the horse garlic while I was there to try it.  My lot love it and so hopeful the coops will be a little sweeter smelling from now on.

Thank you for the tip  :D

alaj

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 16:23 »
That's really interesting to read, our maran is showing a distinct liking for garlic,as are the others now.  Will be getting some garlic powder methinks
Thanks for the tip!
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

xx
Raw garlic

Started by Beano on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 21:55
by orchardlady
xx
help on garlic please

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 21:30
by henamoured
xx
Garlic

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 06:16
by karlooben
xx
ACV and Garlic

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 12:58
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.