Have you started hoarding yet?

• 52 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Have you started hoarding yet?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 19:57 »
It's the decluttering of the contents from the bottles that's the best part though....isn't it  :closedeyes:

Awww Yuss   8)

Soooooo it's less about recycling and more about hiding the evidence then  :lol:

wighty

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 20:42 »
I'm a bit worried here.  Sounds like this year we are not going to get a post from Nige (sad person) and how many toilet roll inners he has saved! :D ::)

purplebean

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 20:46 »
wasn't it loyd grosman sauces that were recalled recently?

I don't hoard at all  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 20:50 »
I'm a bit worried here.  Sounds like this year we are not going to get a post from Nige (sad person) and how many toilet roll inners he has saved! :D ::)

I'd forgotten about that Wighty  :lol:  Can't really hold my head up and call myself a hoarder compared to Nige and his loo roll inner fixation  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 20:52 »
wasn't it loyd grosman sauces that were recalled recently?

I don't hoard at all  :D

Only one sort (creamy one?) that I don't buy anyway  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 21:19 »
a) toilet roll tubes for seedlings
b) plastic coffee cups for the same
c) 2 pint milk bottle for straberry planters
d) pop bottles
e) any and all wood pallets i can find/liberate  :D

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 00:47 »
PRAISE THE LORD! 

I've felt such a weirdo collecting all sorts of trash over the last couple of months and now....now I'm NORMAL! 

Thank you all, my dear friends  :lol: :lol:

I've been having to buy mushrooms in the large trays just so I can save them as the toilet rolls fit in them so beautifully.  I've got so many of them now infact that there's not MUSHROOM left!  Hee hee hee....

I'll get my coat....!
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

dugless

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47 »
It seeems to me this is more a  laydies thing, every time I make space my OH finds

something to fill it :( but I suppose thats what space is for :lol: :lol:
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 08:38 »
I jut threw out all of my jars last year at this time because we were moving.  I was scrambling for them half way through summer, though!  Now I can say I am starting to have a 'healthy' stash going.  I use them for everything from storing leftover soups to tiny bits of precious jam or chutney that I can't bring myself to throw out.   :blink:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 08:41 »

Started hoarding?  ???  :nowink:

Are you kidding?  ::)

I'm now planning to re-use the items I've already re-used at least twice (I've not been the same since panic set in when the oh-so-environmentally-aware Tossco recently started selling chickens in plastic bags instead of those nice triangular-ish trays which were so useful for funnelling compost and other pourable "stuff" into pots and whatnot!  >:()

I always knew those chicken trays could be useful for something, could never figure out what. I use old plastic take-away trays for pouring compost. With lids on, for transporting small squashable produce as in; rasps, srawbs & cherry toms etc, home in.

Horlicks & ovaltine containers make great storage jars for the shed, and nescafe coffee jar lids, ideals "saucers" for under plant pots. Those small plastic dip pots are good for that too, especiallu if your windowsill is too narrow to accomodate trays  :D

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 12:46 »

Funny you should say that. I have not counted them yet but I have three carrier bags full in the garden shed. Sad indeed :lol: :lol:
MoS as for the teabags, I give them a quick rinse and let them dry :blink: :blink:
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

BabbyAnn

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 13:14 »
those nice triangular-ish trays which were so useful for funnelling compost and other pourable "stuff" into pots and whatnot!  >:()

I always knew those chicken trays could be useful for something, could never figure out what.

Oh, what an excellent idea  :blink:

My ongoing-year round stash includes loo roll inners, mushroom trays (perfect for standing the loo roll inners in), plastic cups that I retrieve from the bin next to the water dispenser at work, jam jars, and a regular weekly supply of heavy duty plastic bags also from work (dry ice is delivered in them and then the bags just get thrown away but they are very handy for all sorts of things including stapling to posts to make windbreaks etc, strong bags for carrying veg that might be a bit mucky eg potatoes or parsnips) and egg shells which I dry, crush and fill (recycled of course) plastic jars ready to use whenever.

I keep a small collection of freebie newspapers to use for my sowings but generally they get composted with all the rest otherwise the hoarding might take on a whole different meaning
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 13:15 by BabbyAnn »

LilacSandy

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 13:59 »
I am a collector of: -

Toilet rolls - just right for leek collars.
Glass jars - for jam and for poping over strawberries to keep the birds off.
Plastic bags to bring veg home from the plot.
Plastic knives - for labels
Platic cups - for potting up seedlings
Plastic trays - for seed trays and mini cloches
The plastic covered wires from food bags - two twisted together make a tie for my toms.
The contents of my Dad's recycling box - for my compost heap.
Large plastic milk bottles - Fill with water and they hold down fleece without tearing.
Plastic pop bottles - Topers for cains to protect my eyes and I cut off the bottom and bury them neck down next to my toms and peppers so I can water direct to the roots.
And of course egg boxes to chit my spuds.

starry

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 14:22 »
I don't understand this started hoarding yet? I never stop I have loads of butter tubs, meat trays, my son brought himself a big tub of candy floss for Christmas (26 I might add) and I had the empty tub off him as soon as he was finished stacked it on top of the others I have in the shed don't really know what for yet but I am sure they will be useful along with several wooden wine boxes  :blink: 
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

savbo

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 15:49 »
It seeems to me this is more a  laydies thing,

my OH would not agree with you there! I'm definitely the allotment hoarder in our house

xx
Just getting started

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 23:04
by jmx
xx
Getting Started...HELP!

Started by Classybird on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 00:55
by grendel
xx
I've started

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 10:33
by Barry C
clip
Getting Started

Started by Silva on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 06:50
by Silva

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 38 queries.